Homemade Detoxing Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe is the perfect way to drink something both delicious and good for you at the same time.
My favorite detox tea involves no bags. Just lemons, fresh ginger root and stevia with hot water. That’s it. Your taste buds will love you for this wonderful lemon ginger water that’s loaded with important antioxidants.
You’ll love it if you like lemons and ginger root. It has a completely different taste than a lemon ginger tea bag. (Personally, I don’t even like lemon ginger tea in bags – this recipe tastes SO MUCH better!)
This fresh lemon ginger tea recipe is good for you and tastes amazing.
I have always loved coffee. My great-aunt gave me a sip of hers when I was 6 years old. It had cream and sugar, so I thought it was just wonderful. I upgraded my drink of choice to a latte.
Now that I’ve decided less is more, it was time to kiss my latte habit goodbye. Now I’ve turned to homemade lemon ginger tea throughout the day.
If you’re looking for even more ginger recipes, try this Homemade Ginger Ale recipe.
“Where there’s tea there’s hope.”Arthur Wing Pinero
Here’s some fun facts about ginger you probably didn’t know:
1) The ginger plant is an herb. This is something I didn’t know!
2) Ginger root is not a root, it’s a rhizome. Rhizomes are underground stems. (Imagine how smart people will think you are if you bring up this little nugget at the dinner table.)
3) Ginger can grow up to 4 feet tall. It’s typically grown in the tropics and other warm regions.
4) The plant is native to southeast Asia.
5) Slices of ginger are eaten in Japan in between food courses to clear the palate.
How to preserve fresh ginger once you’ve cut into the root (or rhizome, now that we know better!)
You can easily find fresh ginger root in the produce department of grocery stores. Wrap the ginger in paper towel and place in a plastic bag. It will last up to two weeks.
Fun Facts About Lemons:
I like to add a bit of trivia to my recipes because it adds a little fun to dinner table conversations. I’ve gone throughout my life, not knowing if lemons are native to America. Now I know.
1) According to contemporaryfoodlab.com, lemons were brought to the Americas by Christopher Columbus in 1493.
2) Lemons are grown primarily in California and Arizona. (My guess would have been Florida – but they weren’t even close to the number of acres the other two states have dedicated to lemons.) They produce 95% of the lemons consumed in the United States.
3) On average, the US consumes three pounds of lemons per person.
4) The top two countries we export our lemons to are Japan and Canada.
5) Each lemon holds on average three tablespoons of juice.
6) Lemon trees can produce lemons all year round.
7) You can get 500-600 pounds of lemons from a single tree every year.
8) Miners in the gold-rush of 1849 paid a premium price for lemons because they helped prevent scurvy. California is one of the top producing states of lemons because of this demand.
9) Lemonade was invented in Paris in 1630.
How to Store Fresh Lemons
When purchasing lemons, choose the fruits that are heavy for their size. Pick the ones with smooth skin free of soft spots.
Store lemons 4 to 6 weeks in the refrigerator. Lemons will keep 7 to 10 days at room temperature.
When to drink lemon ginger tea?
You can drink lemon ginger tea all day long like I do. The optimal time to drink is on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
Is lemon ginger tea good for sleep?
Ginger helps aid your body with digestion, so drinking a mug of lemon ginger tea will help get you a good night’s sleep.
Does lemon ginger tea help with acid reflux?
Yes it does. Lemon ginger tea will help ease the symptoms of acid reflux and acts as an anti-inflammatory in your body.
Be careful about drinking too much though. It can aggravate your symptoms if you consume too much ginger.
Is lemon ginger tea good for colds?
The answer is a big YES! The combination of lemon (lots of vitamin C) and ginger (which helps loosen congestion and provides relief to a sore throat) is the perfect combination to get you back on your feet again. It’s also a natural pain reliever that helps with muscle soreness.
I was at my sister’s house one Christmas and we all came down with the flu. Mugs of homemade lemon ginger tea were everywhere. Once you try this amazing beverage, it will be your go-to drink for when you’re not feeling well.
Can lemon ginger tea help you lose weight?
Lemon juice is amazing for your body. Loaded with vitamins and minerals, lemon juice give your system a nutritional boost.
Your liver will love you if you drink lemon juice. The liver needs all the help it can get with the food choices we put in our body.
Ginger helps stoke your metabolism for fat burning and aids in digestion.
The combination of lemon juice and fresh ginger helps detox the body and will help aid in weight loss.
Cozy Living Group
Since you love tea, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 68,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s how you make Homemade Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe:
Ingredients for Homemade Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe
1/2 squeezed lemon
1 piece of ginger about 1 1/2″ long, peeled and cut in thin slices
How do you make Homemade Lemon Ginger Tea Recipe?
1) Add ingredients to an 8 ounce mug. Pour boiling hot water over the ginger slices, lemon juice, and raw honey.
2) Let steep for a few minutes.
3) Add fresh lemon slices if you like. Enjoy!
Printable Version of Detoxing Homemade Lemon Ginger Tea:
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1 piece of ginger 1 1/2" long, peeled and sliced
- A couple drops of stevia or raw honey
- Add ingredients to an 8 ounce mug. Pour boiling water over the mixture.
- Let steep for a few minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 19gProtein 1g
Tips on How to Make Honey Lemon Ginger Tea:
1) This is going to sound like a super simple tip (and it is!), but you need one of these gadgets to squeeze your citrus fruits. It makes life so much easier.
2) You can use grated ginger if you prefer, just use a tea ball in your tea.
3) Refrigerate for ginger lemon iced tea.
4) For even more health benefits, add fresh turmeric or ground turmeric with ginger pieces. Another option is to sprinkle cayenne pepper on your hot tea for a spicy kick. Be careful, a little cayenne pepper goes a long way.
5) You can also substitute maple syrup for honey in the recipe.
6) If you’re using an organic lemon, add a few slices of lemon peel or lemon zest for a great way to get extra nutrition and flavor.
7) Adding cinnamon sticks to your lemon ginger detox drink is also a fun variation.
Lemon and Ginger Tea Benefits
What is lemon ginger tea good for?
Lemon juice stimulates the liver and helps flush out toxins. It’s loaded with vitamin C and also has potassium and vitamin B6. Strengthening your immune system, improving hair, skin and teeth and preventing formation of crystals that cause kidney stones are just a few of the things drinking lemon juice can help your body with.
Ginger is also a powerhouse of health of its own. It has anti-inflammatory properties that helps reduce pain in the body. We all could do with a little less inflammation, right? Another great health benefit is that it stimulates circulation.
Everyone knows that fresh ginger tea reduces nausea, upset stomach, and vomiting on top of all that.
I hope that answers the question of “Is lemon ginger root tea good for you?” The answer is a definite YES!
To learn more about how raw local honey can help with allergies, my friend Angi at Schneider Peeps wrote an article about it. You can find it here.
Should you take Lemon Ginger Tea Before Bed?
You should drink your ginger and lemon detox tea earlier in the day. Ginger is a natural stimulate and you want a tea that will help you relax at night.
We’ve reached the end of Detoxing Lemon Ginger Herbal Tea. I think you’ll make it a daily ritual once you feel the benefits of drinking this wonderful tea.
Make sure you subscribe, so you don’t miss a post. You wouldn’t want to miss other recipes like Homemade Candied Ginger
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy ginger and lemon tea recipe and if you made it one of your morning rituals
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin this great detox tea recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to it again. Follow me on Pinterest for more healthy recipes using simple ingredients.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Tea Posts for You to Explore
- How to Grow Your Own Tea Garden
- Thai Coconut Tea Recipe
- Tips for Brewing the Perfect Pot of Tea
- Grandma’s Hot Cranberry Tea
- Cinnamon Apple Tea Latte
- Best Stress Relief Teas to Try
- 7 Best Detox Teas for a Flatter Belly
Related Lemon Posts: