Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions is a wonderful side dish that lets cranberries be the recipe’s star ingredient. It’s an easy dish to make and tastes amazing.
I’m obsessed with cranberries. It’s one of the most interesting fruits to me. Not only the history of cranberries is fascinating, but even how cranberries are grown.
Fun Facts About Cranberries
- Did you know that most cranberries grown in the United States come from Wisconsin? In fact, according to Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, 62% were from Wisconsin in 2017.
- Cranberries are only one of three fruits native to North America. Isn’t that amazing?
- Nearly 400 million pounds of cranberries are consumed each year by Americans. During Thanksgiving week alone, 80 million pounds are consumed.
- Wisconsin is home to the world’s largest cranberry festival. The Warrens Cranberry Festival is a three-day festival that celebrates Wisconsin’s state fruit.
You can use wild rice or a wild rice mix in the recipe.
Adjust the ingredients to your taste. You may be less than an onion lover than I am – so alter the amount if you would prefer less. Caramelizing the onion makes it sweet.
This recipe will make one of the best side dishes for your holiday meal. It’s a special dish for your Thanksgiving menu, Christmas dinner, or everyday family meal. It’s one of those easy recipes you’ll love.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this Cranberry Rice Recipe with Caramelized Onions, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with 117,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, things that leave you in awe, and how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Recipe for Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Ingredients for Cranberry Rice Recipe
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup uncooked wild rice mix
2 medium onions, diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 cup dried sweet cranberries
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
How to Make Wild Rice with Cranberries
Pour chicken broth into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the wild rice blend. Cover the saucepan and reduce heat. Simmer for 50-60 minutes. The rice is done when the liquid is absorbed, and you have fluffy rice. You can add more chicken broth or water if you need to.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the brown sugar and onions over medium heat. Cook until golden brown, stirring frequently.
Add the dried cranberries, orange zest, and rice mixture to the onions and heat the cranberry mixture through.
Serve this cranberry cooked rice dish right away while warm.
Printable Recipe Card for Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf with Nutrition Facts
Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions is a wonderful side dish that lets cranberries be the star of the show.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice mix
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the wild rice mixture. Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 50-60minutes. The rice is done when it's tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the brown sugar and onions. Cook until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the cranberries, grated orange peel, and rice mixture to the onions and heat through.
1. You can substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth.
2. The wild rice mixture can be substituted with just wild rice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 169Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 12mgSodium 419mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 23gProtein 2g
Tips for Making Rice with Cranberries and Caramelized Onions
- You can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Instead of the wild rice mix, you can use just wild rice. A wild rice mix is a great option and is easier to find in grocery stores. Cooking times will remain the same.
- You can sometimes find the wild rice mixture in the bulk bin to make this homemade rice pilaf.
- Top this cranberry rice with freshly ground black pepper for more flavor.
- You can garnish this side dish with chopped green onions, zested orange rind, toasted pine nuts, fresh parsley, or other fresh herbs.
- You can also add a splash of orange juice for more sweetness if desired.
How long will this cranberry rice recipe last in the refrigerator?
When properly stored in airtight containers, cranberry rice with caramelized onions will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Can you freeze this cranberry rice pilaf?
Yes, this dish will freeze well if stored in a freezer bag or container.
Please let me know how you liked this cranberry rice with caramelized onions side dish in the comments below. I love hearing from readers! You will love the sweet flavor. It’s the perfect dish for your holiday table.
Be sure to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin for the cranberry rice below for your Pinterest side dish recipe board. It’s one of those easy rice recipes for your holiday menu that offers festive colors on your table.
Thanks for stopping by! I’m so happy you found us.