Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions is a wonderful side dish that lets cranberries be the star of the recipe. It’s an easy dish to make, and tastes amazing.
I’m obsessed with cranberries. It’s one of the most interesting fruits to me. Not only the history of cranberries is fascinating, but even how cranberries are grown.
Fun Facts About Cranberries
Did you know that the majority of cranberries grown in the United States come from Wisconsin? In fact, according to Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, 62% were from Wisconsin in 2017.
Wisconsin is home to the largest cranberry festival.
Cranberries are only one of three fruits native to North America. Isn’t that amazing?
Nearly 400 million pounds of cranberries are consumed each year by Americans. During Thanksgiving week alone, 80 million pounds are eaten.
Wisconsin is home to the world’s largest cranberry festival. The Warrens Cranberry Festival is a three-day festival that celebrates Wisconsin’s state fruit.
You can use wild rice or a wild rice mix in the recipe.
I found this sweet flavor recipe in the Taste of home Grand Prize Winners Cookbook. I didn’t change the recipe at all. I thought the flavors were amazing together.
Adjust the ingredients to your taste. You may not be as much as an onion lover as I am – so alter the amount if you would prefer less.
This recipe will make one of the best side dishes for your Thanksgiving menu, Christmas dinner, or for your everyday family meal. It’s one of those easy recipes you’ll love.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe on Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with 68,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, things that leave you in awe, and how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Recipe for Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Ingredients for Cranberry Rice Recipe
2 /12 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice mix
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
3 medium onions, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 cup dried sweet cranberries
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
How to Make Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions
Pour chicken broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the wild rice blend. Cover the saucepan and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the brown rice, simmer and cover for 45-50 minutes. The rice is done when it’s tender and the liquid is absorbed.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the brown sugar and onions over medium heat. Cook until golden brown, stirring frequently.
Add the dried cranberries, orange zest, and rice mixture to the onions and heat the cranberry mixture through.
Serve this cranberry cooked rice dish right away.
Printable Recipe Card for Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf with Nutrition Facts
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice mix
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the wild rice mixture. Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the brown rice, simmer and cover for 45-50 minutes. The rice is done when it's tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the brown sugar and onions. Cook until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the cranberries, grated orange peel, and rice mixture to the onions and heat through.
1. You can substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth.
2. The wild rice mixture can be substituted with just wild rice.
Tips for Making Rice with Cranberries and Caramelized Onions
- You can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Instead of the wild rice mix, you can use just wild rice. The wild rice mix is a great option and easier to find in grocery stores. Cooking times will remain the same.
- You can sometimes find the wild rice mixture in the bulk bin to make this homemade rice pilaf.
How long will this cranberry rice recipe last in the refrigerator?
When properly stored in airtight containers, cranberry rice with caramelized onions will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Can you freeze this cranberry rice recipe?
Yes, this dish will freeze well as long as it’s stored in a freezer bag or container.
Please let me know in the comments below how you liked this cranberry rice with caramelized onions side dish. I love hearing from readers!
Don’t forget to take a look at the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is! You can join the group here.
I created a pin for the cranberry rice below for your Pinterest side dish recipe board. It’s one of those easy rice recipes for your holiday menu that offers festive colors on your table.