The Best Caramelized Onion Dip is one of those recipes you’ll crave. I must warn you; it’s so good you might be dreaming about this recipe.
If you’re looking for more delicious appetizer recipes, Brown Sugar Maple Fruit Dip and Cheesy Baked Vidalia Onion Dip will keep your taste buds happy.
Tweaking this homemade French onion dip recipe became a bit of an obsession.
I first found this recipe from Ina Garten, but it needed a few changes to make it perfect. Using a sweet onion like Vidalia onions tasted better than using yellow onions.
The secret ingredient I added was Worcestershire sauce. That ingredient took this dip from good to great. And chopping the onions ensured you got the caramelized onion flavor in every bite and that you didn’t get stringy onions in your party dip.
Another thing the original recipe did was to serve it warm. Letting this dip blend its flavors and serving it cold takes it to a whole other level.
This easy dip will be one of your favorite recipes to bring to potlucks. Everyone will rave over this chip dip!
My sister recently made this dip for one of her husband’s work gatherings, and everyone demanded the recipe. Seriously…it’s the best.
You can put this cream cheese dip in a serving bowl on a cutting board. Surround the bowl with crinkle cut potato chips, and let the party begin. You’ll never use that onion soup mix again to make a dip.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this homemade caramelized onion dip recipe, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life.
It’s a group where we share recipes, picture of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Here’s the Recipe for Caramelized Onion Dip
2 large sweet onions, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/8 cup avocado oil or olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, and sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to the onions, and make sure the spices are well-mixed. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions are browned and caramelized.
- Set aside the onions and allow to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in a large bowl and mix with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in the onion mixture to the mixing bowl and blend well together. Taste for seasonings.
- Refrigerate the dip and allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with chips or freshly cut vegetables.
The deep gold brown chopped onions give this dip recipe the amazing flavor you’ll crave! It makes the best appetizer.
Printable Recipe Card for Caramelized Onion Dip with Nutrition Information
The Best Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe
This amazing Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe will have you dreaming about it long after it's gone! It's easy to make and a crowd pleaser.
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Heat the butter and oil in a meduim saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to the onions and make sure the spices are well-mixed with the onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until onoins are browned and caramelized.
- Set the onions aside and allow to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in a large bowl and mix together with an electric mixer until blended. Stir in the onions and combine well. Taste for seasonings.
- Refrigerate dip for at least two hours to allow flavors to blend together.
- Serve with chips or freshly cut vegetables.
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 38mgSodium 270mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g
Tips for making this ultimate dip with caramelized onions
- You can serve this flavorful dip with bagel chips, pita chips, tortilla chips, corn chips, or your other favorite chips.
- This dip also makes delicious sandwich spreads.
- Plain Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream.
- You can substitute soy sauce for the Kosher salt.
- Yellow onions can be substituted for the sweet large onions.
How long does this delicious dip last in the refrigerator?
This amazing caramelized dip recipe will last 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. You don’t have to worry about storing this dip because it disappears fast!
Can you freeze this onion dip?
Dairy doesn’t freeze well because it takes on a grainy texture when defrosted. I would not freeze this dip.
We’ve reached the end of the Best Caramelized Onion Dip. I hope you enjoyed it!
Let me know if you tried this perfect dip recipe in the comments below and how you liked it.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin for you to add to your Pinterest appetizer board so you can refer back to the recipe.
You can also follow me on PINTEREST. If you make this recipe and take a photo, please tag me here on INSTAGRAM.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!