Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup is seriously delicious and it will become a family favorite recipe.
“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.” – Ludwig van Beethoven
Soup. Don’t you just love that word? On a cold winter day, nothing can warm you up more than a bowl.
I’ve always loved a creamy mushroom soup, but this soup is out of this world. It can be quite addicting.
I’m not one of those people that put any old recipe on my blog and call it a day. No one wants to spend money on the ingredients for a recipe and have it turn out just okay.
This recipe is a combination of ingredients that turns something as simple as soup into a gourmet meal.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for a recipe that you can hand down to your kids to make. This recipe is it!
Mushrooms are often thought of as vegetables, but they are really a fungus. There are over 38,000 different varieties of mushrooms.
Best way to store mushrooms:
If you buy your mushrooms in a container, that’s the best way to continue storing them. The reason for this is, the containers they put them in are designed to breathe, so mushrooms are able to release the ethylene gas they give off.
The plastic wrap will on top of the containers will help keep the mushrooms fresh until you break the seal. Once you do, simply store the remaining mushrooms in the same container and add more plastic wrap to the top.
Mushrooms last 4-7 days in the refrigerator.
If you don’t buy your mushrooms in a container, the next best method of storing mushrooms according to Cook’s Illustrated is to place your mushrooms in a plastic bag, with the top slightly open so the mushrooms can breathe.
Best way to clean mushrooms:
You don’t want to wash or soak your mushrooms because they are porous and will absorb the water. It will make them taste watery.
Try cleaning your mushrooms with a damp cloth or paper towel first. You can also use a soft mushroom brush. If the mushrooms still have a lot of dirt on them, rinse with water and then immediately dry them thoroughly.
If you don’t cook them right away, the water will cause them to get slimy.
Vessels for Serving Soup:
Bread Bowl – this is one of my favorite ways to serve soup. Simply cut off the top of your round rustic bread and hallow them out.
Mugs – for a casual get-together, serve your soup in cozy mugs.
For something fun to do, how about growing your own mushrooms right at home?
Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Kit on Amazon will help you get started
How long does Hungarian Mushroom Soup last in the fridge?
I doubt very much you’ll have any leftovers of this amazing soup…but if you do…
You’ll want to refrigerate your Hungarian Mushroom Soup within two hours of cooking.
Make sure you store your soup in a covered airtight container or a heavy-duty freezer bag.
Your soup will last 3 to 4 days, when properly stored.
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you love to cook, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 5,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Ingredients for Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (any kind – a mix is the best)
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
2 cups of chicken or veggie broth
1 cup milk or almond milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice (I add more because I love lemon!)
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions for Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
1) Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Put in the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.
Stir in the dill, paprika, liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and broth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2) Whisk the milk and flour together in a separate bowl. Pour into the soup and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stir occasionally.
3) Finally, stir in the ground black pepper, lemon juice and sour cream or Greek yogurt. Mix together and allow to heat over low heat, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Add fresh parsley to the top for garnish and serve with crusty warm bread.
Here is the printable Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (any kind - a mix is best)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk or plain almond milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (I add more because I love lemon!)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Put in the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce (or liquid aminos) and broth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the milk and flour together in a separate bowl. Pour into the soup and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stir occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the ground black pepper, lemon juice and sour cream or Greek yogurt. Mix together and allow to heat over low heat, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Add fresh parsley to the top for garnish and serve with crusty warm bread.
1) Use real lemon juice instead of the bottled kind.
2) You can substitute fresh parsley with dried but only use two teaspoons.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
A good soup pot. I use a Le Creuset enamel pot, the Caribbean Blue color makes me happy as I experiment on creating recipes. You can find one like it on Amazon here:
A sharp knife. I use ceramic knives. If you’ve never used them, you won’t believe how amazing they are. You can find a set of them here for under $30 at Amazon.
If you’re trying to cut down on your salt intake, you might want to try Liquid Aminos. I use it in all my cooking. It is made by the Bragg’s and they make the healthy version of Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s also gluten-free. You can find Liquid Amino’s on Amazon here.
This is an amazing recipe that you will love.
Make sure you sign up to receive new posts because you might miss out on something life-changing like The Most Delicious Meatloaf Ever. If you don’t think a recipe will change your life, then you haven’t tried the right one!
Let us know if you made the recipe in the comments below and how you liked it. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!