Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup is seriously delicious and it will become a family favorite recipe.
“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.” – Ludwig van Beethoven
Soup. Don’t you just love that word? On a cold winter day, nothing can warm you up more than a bowl.
I’ve always loved a creamy mushroom soup, but this soup is out of this world. It can be quite addicting.
Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (any kind – a mix is the best)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 cup milk or plain almond milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (I add more because I love lemon!)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes. Put in the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and broth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the milk and flour together in a separate bowl. Pour into the soup and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stir occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the ground black pepper, lemon juice and sour cream or Greek yogurt. Mix together and allow to heat over low heat, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Add fresh parsley to the top for garnish and serve with crusty warm bread.
1) Use real lemon juice instead of the bottled kind.
2) You can substitute fresh parsley with dried but only use two teaspoons.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
A good soup pot. I use a Le Creuset enamel pot, the Caribbean Blue color makes me happy as I experiment on creating recipes. You can find one like it on Amazon here:
A sharp knife. I use ceramic knives. If you’ve never used them, you won’t believe how amazing they are. You can find a set of them here for under $30 at Amazon.
If you’re trying to cut down on your salt intake, you might want to try Liquid Aminos. I use it in all my cooking. It is made by the Bragg’s and they make the healthy version of Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s also gluten-free. You can find Liquid Amino’s on Amazon here.
This is an amazing recipe that you will love.
Make sure you sign up to receive new posts because you might miss out on something life-changing like The Most Delicious Meatloaf Ever. If you don’t think a recipe will change your life, then you haven’t tried the right one!
Let us know if you made the recipe in the comments below and how you liked it. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!