The Best Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup is an easy recipe that tastes like you spent all day simmering the soup. This recipe is made with onions, chopped zucchini, cream of chicken soup, half and half, and dried basil.
If you’re looking for more yummy zucchini recipes, Quick Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles and Savory Caprese Zucchini Pancakes will keep your taste buds happy.
The summer season provides an ample supply of zucchini. Finding ideas on what to do with them all can be challenging. This creamy chicken zucchini soup is sure to be a family favorite for both lunch and dinner. Pair the soup with a side salad and a loaf of crusty bread, you’ve got the perfect meal.
I found this recipe in one of Susan Branch’s cookbooks. You are in for a treat if you don’t know who she is. She is an author and artist that makes the most beautiful cookbooks filled with watercolors and hand-lettered recipes.
Here’s a Susan Branch Book Review that I did on her memoir Martha’s Vineyard: Isle of Dreams. You can also try another one of her recipes, Creamy Baked Lemon Noodles.
You can find one of her cookbooks here on Amazon if you want to take a peek inside.
Soup is one of our favorite comfort foods. Finding easy recipes like this one makes whipping up lunch or dinner so much easier.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe for Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group Creating a Cozy Life with over 113,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a place where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Here’s How to Make the Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup Recipe
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup water
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and black pepper
- Sauté chopped onion in butter for 3-4 minutes in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add sliced zucchini and water to the large stock pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend in a blender until pureed. Return to the soup pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the large pot and heat to simmering.
- Serve hot.
Printable Recipe Card for Zucchini Chicken Soup with Daily Values
Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup water
- 1 10-ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
1. Sauté chopped onion in butter for 3-4 minutes in a dutch oven.
2. Add chopped zucchini and water to the large pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Blend in a blender until pureed. Return to the soup pot.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the soup and heat to simmering.
Tips for Making Zucchini Chicken Soup
- Adding toppings to your soup can transform your bowl into something beautiful and even more delicious. You can find a variety of soup toppings for any of your favorite soup recipes here.
- You can substitute yellow onions for a sweeter onion like Vidalia.
- You can replace the half and half with milk, but the soup won’t be as thick.
- Adding yellow squash to the soup is a great way to add variety.
- Topping soup bowls with fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, or lemon zest takes the soup to another level.
- You can add two chopped garlic cloves to the onion for more flavor.
- Rotisserie chicken would be a nice addition to this creamy zucchini soup recipe. You could also cook a chicken breast and add the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Top this soup with a drizzle of olive oil, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, zucchini noodles, tortilla chips, sour cream, or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- You can use your own chicken stock or vegetable broth in place of the water to add more depth of flavor.
- Grated carrot, mushrooms, spinach, pasta, orzo, beans, or rice would also make nice additions to this soup. Or add your favorite veggies to the base.
How long does Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup last in the fridge?
The leftover soup will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator when properly stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze this creamy soup recipe?
When you have dairy as an ingredient in soup, it’s best NOT to freeze it. Dairy can take on a grainy texture when thawed.
What to eat with this creamy zucchini soup recipe?
Adding quick breads or focaccia bread is a simple way to make this easy soup a meal.
We’ve reached the end of Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup. I hope you enjoyed it!
Let me know in the comments below how you liked the chicken zucchini soup and if you made any tweaks to the recipe.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin below for this chicken vegetable soup to add to your comfort food Pinterest board.
You can follow me here on PINTEREST. If you make this recipe and take a photo, be sure to tag me here on INSTAGRAM.
Thanks for dropping by! I’m so happy you found us.
The BEST Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup — Montana Happy | My Meals are on Wheels
Wednesday 9th of November 2022
[…] The BEST Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup — Montana Happy […]