Coconut Sweet Potato Soup is one of those recipes you’ll dream about. It not only tastes delicious, but this is a healthy recipe too! This easy soup recipe is made with sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and spices. It will be a recipe you make often.
I found this recipe in a cookbook for a restaurant in North Carolina. It’s called the Tupelo Honey Cafe. You can find their cookbook here.
I made a couple of tweaks to the Coconut Sweet Potato Soup recipe. I reduced the salt and changed a couple directions. Other than those things, this recipe was perfect. Don’t you just love it when you find a delicious recipe that is healthy as well?
I love finding the most delicious soups out there. This one has made the cut.
Sweet potatoes are a favorite vegetable of mine. Not only is a bag of organic sweet potatoes inexpensive, but they are also good for you!
- You can buy a bag of organic sweet potatoes at Sam’s Club and Costco!
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe for Creamy Coconut Sweet Potato Soup, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 128,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, photos of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Here’s How to Make Coconut Sweet Potato Soup
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
4 cups water, with an additional 4 1/2 teaspoons water (or vegetable broth)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (14 ounces)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine the sweet potato cubes and 4 cups of water over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to boil for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth the sweet potatoes in the water. You can use a blender if you don’t have an immersion blender. Blend the soup in batches.
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and black pepper to the sweet potato mixture. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and the remaining 4 1/2 teaspoons of water to form a thick paste.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and the cayenne pepper to the large pot of soup and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve this healthy soup in bowls and top with your favorite garnishes.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Tips for Making Coconut Sweet Potato Bisque
- If you’re looking for a list of fun soup toppings, you can find one here. You can use a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan cheese, a dollop of sour cream, a swirl of coconut milk, red pepper flakes, sprinkle of curry powder, chili powder, or ground cumin are favorite toppings for vegan sweet potato soup.
- You can use chicken broth or vegetable stock instead of water for more flavor in this cozy soup.
- Red pepper flakes can be used instead of cayenne pepper.
- Use full-fat coconut milk for best results.
- Heavy cream can be substituted for coconut milk.
- Try adding fresh ginger root for more flavor.
- You can serve this amazing sweet potato soup with crusty bread and a side salad for a complete meal. A grilled cheese sandwich also makes a comforting meal with this recipe.
- Soy milk, unsweetened almond milk, or oat milk can be used to replace the coconut milk, but the soup won’t taste as rich.
- You can also use a food processor in place of an immersion blender or regular blender for this vegan soup recipe.
- This soup is even better the next day after the flavors blend.
- Serve this great soup recipe as one of your easy weeknight meals with grilled cheese sandwiches.
How long does Sweet Potato Coconut Soup last in the refrigerator?
When leftover soup is stored properly in an airtight container, this soup can last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Can you freeze this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this sweet potato soup. It can last up to three months in the freezer.
How do I choose the best sweet potatoes for soup?
Look for sweet potatoes that are firm and free from blemishes or soft spots. They should have a vibrant orange color and feel heavy for their size. Smaller sweet potatoes tend to be sweeter, while larger ones can be starchier.
Do I need to peel the sweet potatoes before making soup?
It’s generally recommended to peel sweet potatoes before making soup to ensure a smoother texture. However, if you prefer a rustic or chunky soup, you can leave the skin on after giving them a good scrub.
Can I make sweet potato soup in a slow cooker or Instant Pot?
Yes, sweet potato soup can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot for added convenience. In a slow cooker, simply combine all the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the sweet potatoes are tender. For an Instant Pot, use the “Soup” setting and cook for about 15-20 minutes with a natural pressure release. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific appliance.
We’ve reached the end of How to Make Coconut Sweet Potato Soup. I hope you liked it!
Let me know in the comments below if you tried the recipe for sweet potato soup and what you thought. It’s the perfect fall or winter soup recipe.
Be sure to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a soup with sweet potatoes pin for you to add to your healthy soups Pinterest board so you can refer back to this recipe.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Cold Weather Soup Recipes You’ll Love!
- Creamy Restaurant-Style Tomato Soup
- How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy Asparagus Potato Soup
- The Best Creamy Chicken Zucchini Soup
- Low Carb Beefy Cabbage Soup
- The Best Turkey Noodle Soup
- Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stock Recipe
- Creamy Lasagna Soup Recipe
Recipe Card for this Creamy Soup with Nutritional Information
This delicious creamy sweet potato soup recipe is so easy to make and healthy as well.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 cups water, with an additional 4 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, (14 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Combine the cubed sweet potatoes and 4 cups of water over high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth the sweet potatoes in water. You can use a regular blender if you don't have an immersion blender. Blend the soup in batches.
- Add the coconut milk, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and black pepper to the sweet potato mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 1/2 teaspoons of water with the cornstarch to form a thick paste.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and cayenne pepper to the soup and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with your favorite garnishes.
If you're looking for a list of fun soup toppings, you can find some on the list I put together. You can use a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan cheese, a dollop of sour cream, a swirl of coconut milk, red pepper flakes, sprinkle of curry powder, or ground cumin to top this delicious soup recipe!
You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock instead of water for more flavor.
Use a full-fat coconut milk for best results.
Heavy cream can be substituted for coconut milk.
Adding fresh ginger root will add even more flavor to this soup recipe.
You can serve this amazing sweet potato soup recipe with crusty bread and a side salad for a complete meal. A grilled cheese sandwich will also pair well with this soup.
Soy milk, unsweetened almond milk, or oat milk can all be used to replace the coconut milk, but the soup won't taste as rich.
You can use a food processor in place of an immersion blender or regular blender for this soup recipe.
Amount Per Serving Calories 130Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 840mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 2g