Learning how to make buffalo sauce from scratch is one of the easiest ways to give your meals an extra kick without a lot of effort. Making buffalo sauce at home is so much better because you use butter instead of oil in the recipe, which gives a richer flavor than bottled buffalo sauce.
I made a list of the different ways you can use this homemade buffalo sauce below, so you can never be at a loss for ideas on what to cook for lunch or dinner.
Did you know that buffalo sauce was invented in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York? (Now you know why they call them “buffalo” wings!)
In the New York area, buffalo chicken wings is served with blue cheese dressing, but Ranch dressing is most popular outside the New York area.
I have a homemade blue cheese dressing recipe you might want to try here. It’s so darn good – you won’t purchase store-bought again!
What is homemade buffalo sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a fantastic mixture of butter with hot sauce and a few spices to take it to another level. That’s it!
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on this post for how to make buffalo sauce from scratch, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 43,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How long does homemade buffalo sauce last in the refrigerator?
When properly stored in an airtight container, this easy how to make buffalo sauce from scratch recipe can last up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze this buffalo sauce from scratch recipe?
The good news is you can freeze the sauce in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to six months.
Related Sauce Recipes
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib – this creamy recipe goes great with any beef recipe as well.
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce – cranberry sauce isn’t just for the holidays. Make cranberry sauce for turkey sandwiches with cream cheese for an amazing lunch.
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe – once you start making your own cocktail sauce, you won’t stop. It’s so easy, and you get to add just the right amount of horseradish.
- Homemade Pesto Sauce – If you grow your own basil, you’re definitely going to want to make your own pesto sauce.
- How to Make Pizza Sauce in 5 minutes – did you know it only takes 5 minutes to make homemade pizza sauce?
Here’s How to Make Buffalo Sauce from Scratch
Ingredients for Buffalo Sauce
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions for Making Easy Buffalo Sauce
- Melt butter in a pan and add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Whisk together until well-blended.
Printable Version of How to Make Buffalo Sauce from Scratch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup hot sauce (Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt butter in a pan and add the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Whisk until well-blended.
Amount Per Serving Calories 104Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 31mgSodium 508mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Tips for Making this Simple Buffalo Sauce
- You can use both unsalted butter or salted butter. Hot sauce generally has salt added to it already. It depends on your taste.
- I typically use Frank’s Red Original Hot Sauce for my sauce, but you can use any hot sauce in this recipe.
- If you want a thicker, creamier sauce – add a tablespoon of flour to the butter after it melts and then add the remainder of the ingredients.
Ideas on How to Use Buffalo Sauce
- Chicken wings or chicken tenders – this one is pretty obvious. You can use the sauce on breaded or plain chicken.
- Cauliflower “wings” – if you’re looking to get more vegetables in your life, this is the way to do so.
- Buffalo Potato Wedges – good thing I have a recipe for you here.
- Make buffalo sauce meatballs. Whether your favorite meatballs are chicken, beef, or pork – they all go well with this amazing sauce.
- Buffalo chicken pizza or flatbread will also make hungry bellies happy.
- If you’re looking to make an appetizer, buffalo chicken dip is an all-time favorite recipe.
- Top avocado toast with a drizzle of buffalo sauce and top with coarse sea salt. Delicious!
- Add some buffalo sauce to your scrambled eggs or egg burrito for a zesty morning.
- Who doesn’t love tacos? Add some buffalo sauce to the meat when you’re cooking it and watch your family’s eyes light up when they take their first bite.
- Next time you do a stir-fry, simply drizzle some sauce in the pan while cooking.
We’ve reached the end of How to Make Buffalo Sauce from Scratch. I hope you enjoyed it.
Make sure you subscribe, so you don’t miss a post. You wouldn’t want to miss other posts like Best Dill Sauce for Salmon.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy buffalo sauce recipe and how you used it in your meals.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin how to make buffalo sauce from scratch recipe below on your food board on Pinterest so that you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!