Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe will help you make the most nutritious soups for your family and friends. It’s simple to make and much better for you than the store-bought cartons.
“Soup is a lot like a family. Each ingredient enhances the others; each batch has its own characteristics; and it needs time to simmer to reach full flavor.” – Marge Kennedy
Slow cooker chicken bone broth is so simple and inexpensive to make it, you will no longer buy those boxes of broth.
Making my own soup stock was one of the easiest ways I found to save a little extra money. Once you get in the habit of saving leftover peels and ends, making your own homemade bone broth with chicken is a breeze.
The depth of flavor homemade broth gives to any recipe is well-worth the time invested. I love making bone broth all year long. Maybe it’s because I love soup so much.
I think soup is a key component of living a cozy life. Making something warm and delicious on a cold fall or winter day makes me so happy.
Soup is good for you and gives you that made from scratch recipe that is easy to make and tastes amazing. Homemade chicken broth is the key to taking your soup recipes to a whole new level.
In the recipe you’ll see an ingredient for salt or liquid aminos. I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos in all my soup recipes in place of salt.
Bragg’s Liquid Aminos tastes very similar to soy sauce. You know all the health benefits of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar…the liquid aminos is made by the same company.
It is naturally gluten-free and vegan. Liquid Aminos provide amino acids that your body needs for building blocks of protein, it doesn’t have chemical preservatives, and has a milder taste than soy sauce. You can find some here on Amazon.
In our cozy living group, we get at least one glimpse per day of someone making their own soup. Everyone always wants the recipe because just looking at it can make you hungry.
Is Chicken Bone Broth in the Slow Cooker good for you?
According to Medical News Today, bone broth is really good for you and it might also help you lose weight. Bones are loaded with nutrients and vitamins. It may also help with inflammation and help protect the joints.
Did you know there’s a Soup Festival in Buffalo, New York every year?
Soup lovers, rejoice. There’s an annual soup festival that happens in January in Buffalo, New York every year. It’s called the Buffalo Soup-Fest and they let you sample 70 different soups all in one place.
What could be better than all those different soups to taste on a cold, winter day? Sounds like perfection to me.
Why you should make homemade soup recipes?
1) When you make your own soup, you know exactly what goes into every bowl. You can also control the amount of salt and additives that might not be the best things to put into your body.
2) There’s something magical about a big pot of soup simmering on the stove on a cold, winter day.
3) Making homemade soup is economical. If you have vegetables about to go bad in the refrigerator, all you have to do is cut them up and make a pot of vegetable soup.
4) Sometimes it’s hard to get all the vegetables you need in your diet. By eating soup, getting your required servings of vegetables is easy.
5) It tastes amazing. The simmering of the vegetables and meat in soups allow for the flavors to really come out. A big, bowl of soup with a side salad makes a filling meal that tastes great and fills you up at the same time.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 53,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How long should you cook chicken bone broth in a slow cooker?
You can cook it on low for 9-12 hours for best results.
How to Make Chicken Bone Broth in a Slow Cooker
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth
2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (backs and wings)
3 stalks cut up celery with leaves
3 medium unpeeled carrots, cut up in large pieces
1 large unpeeled onion, cut up in large pieces
small bunch fresh parsley
4 unpeeled garlic cloves, halved
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt or liquid aminos
1 teaspoon dried thyme or sage
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
8 cups filtered water
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth
1) Cut chicken wings at joints into three pieces.
2) Place chicken and the rest of the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 9-12 hours.
3) Strain broth into a large bowl with a fine mesh strainer.
4) Throw away vegetables, chicken bones and seasonings.
5) Place broth in refrigerator overnight and skim off fat that has become hard on top of the broth in the morning
Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Printable Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (backs and wings)
- 3 stalks cut up celery with leaves
- 3 medium unpeeled carrots, cut up in large pieces
- 1 large unpeeled onion, cut up in large pieces
- small bunch fresh parsley
- 4 unpeeled garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or sage
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 8 cups filtered water
- Cut chicken wings at joints into three pieces.
- Place chicken and the rest ofthe ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 9-12 hours.
- Strain broth into a large bowl with a fine mesh strainer.
- Throw away any vegetables, bones and seasonings.
- Place broth in the refrigerator overnight and skim off the fat that has become hard on top of the broth in the morning.
Tips for making this recipe for chicken bone broth in a slow cooker
1) If you’re watching your salt intake, you can use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos instead. Bragg’s is the same company that makes apple cider vinegar with the mother, so you know you’re in good hands. You can find it here.
2) You don’t want to be heavy on the seasoning because when you make your soup or other recipe, mixing the additional ingredients can make the flavor overpowering.
3) Inexpensive meat cuts have the same nutritional value as expensive cuts, so there is no reason to spend more money.
4) You can freeze your stock for up to six months or it will keep for four days in the refrigerator.
6) Use an ice-cube tray to freeze cubes of chicken stock for future recipes calling for just a little broth.
7) Avoid turnips and cabbage because they can overwhelm the flavor of the stock.
8) Potatoes can make the broth cloudy because of all the starch, so avoid using them.
9) For a richer base, crack the chicken bones every inch or so before starting to cook.
10) Adding the apple cider vinegar will help draw out the minerals and nutrients from the bones.
How long does Chicken Bone Broth in the Slow Cooker last in the refrigerator?
This recipe for chicken bone broth in slow cooker will last 3 to 4 days if properly stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
How long does this Best Chicken Bone Broth Recipe Slow Cooker last in the freezer?
It will last up to one year in the freezer if it is properly stored.
We’ve reached the end of Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
If you tried this recipe, let me know in the comments below how you liked it.
Make sure you sign up, so you don’t miss a single post. You wouldn’t want to miss recipes like To-Die-For Hungarian Mushroom Soup.
Thanks for stopping by!
Amazing Soup Recipes to Try
Another Slow Cooker Chicken recipe from my friend Shelby at Fit as a Mama Bear is Creamy Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken
For More Information on the Benefits of Bone Broth