If you’ve never had Cream of Onion Soup, you’re in for a real treat. This recipe is made with simple ingredients like caramelized onions, chicken stock, cream, and sherry. This smooth soup will wow family and friends.
I love making soup. There’s something comforting about sitting down to a family meal where soup is the star of the show on a chilly evening. This recipe tastes like a rich comfort food with smooth flavor. You know when you add caramelized onions to a dish, it’s the beginning of any great recipe.
My sister found this amazing recipe in a cookbook that featured soups from famous ski resorts. I thought that was such a fun idea for a cookbook! It’s called Ski Town Soups by Jeannie Iverson. It’s a wonderful vintage cookbook published in 2012.
The cookbook features over 100 soup recipes from 60 North American ski resorts. This Caramelized Cream of Onion Soup recipe is from the Sun Valley Resort located in Sun Valley, Idaho. I altered the measurements of the ingredients a bit to make this soup even better.
This homemade cream of onion soup might become your favorite soup of all time. It’s really that good! If you’re looking for something different than French onion soup, you’ve found it!
You can serve this smooth soup recipe as a first course, or add a side salad and crusty bread for a main course or a hearty lunch. Everyone needs easy recipes to taste delicious. You’ll love the flavor of the soup!
Interesting Facts About Onions
- The three most common types of onions are yellow, white, and red onions.
- On average, Americans eat 19 pounds of onions per person per year. In Libya, they average 67 pounds of onions per person per year. Wow!
- Eating parsley will help you get rid of onion breath.
- Yellow onions rule the world. Approximately 75% of the world’s onion production is for yellow onions.
- California produces the most onions in the United States.
Creating a Cozy Life
Since you found this recipe for Caramelized Cream of Onion Soup, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 68,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Here’s How to Make the Cream of Onion Soup Recipe
Ingredients for Creamy Onion Soup
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups dry sherry
1 quart low sodium chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 twists of freshly ground pepper
Directions for Making Caramelized Cream Onion Soup
In a heavy large saucepan, melt butter and add the sliced onions. Sauté the onions over medium-low heat until they are caramelized. This step could take up to 30 minutes. You’ll want to stir the brown onions often with a wooden spoon to keep them from burning.
After the onions have caramelized, stir in the white pepper and thyme. Add the flour and mix throughly with the caramelized onions. Pour in the sherry and cook until thickened.
Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-high heat and let cook for 5 more minutes. Add fresh cream, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. Cook until heated through.
If needed, adjust seasoning.
Printable Recipe Card for Caramelized Creamy Onion Soup with Nutrition Facts
This wonderful caramelized cream of onion soup is made with caramelized onions, chicken stock, cream, sherry, and thyme. All your family and friends will love this recipe!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups dry sherry
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 twists of freshly ground pepper
1. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and add the sliced onions. Saute the onions over medium heat until they are caramelized. This step can take 30 minutes. You'll want to stir the onions often to prevent them from burning.
2. After the onions have caramelized, stir in the white pepper and thyme. Add the flour and mix throughly with caramelized onions. Pour in the sherry and cook until thickened.
3. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let cook for 5 more minutes. Add cream, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. Cook until heated through.
4. If needed, adjust seasoning.
Amount Per Serving Calories 514Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 132mgSodium 1667mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 8g
Tips for Making Creamy Caramelized Onion Soup
- Make sure you watch the onions so they don’t burn.
- For a simple garnish, top this soup with homemade croutons or green onions.
- The more you caramelize the onions the sweeter they are.
- You can substitute yellow onions for sweet onions.
- To add some spice to your soup, add some red pepper flakes to your bowl.
- Four tablespoons butter equals 1/4 cup of butter.
How long does Creamy Onion Soup last in the fridge?
This creamy soup recipe will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator when properly stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze this homemade Cream Onion Soup Recipe?
Soups with dairy don’t freeze well because the texture and taste turn grainy after thawing.
What can you serve with this creamy onion soup recipe?
We’ve reached the end of Caramelized Cream of Onion Soup. I hope you enjoyed this classic recipe!
Let me know in the comments below how you liked the Cream of Onion Soup Recipe. This recipe is a keeper for your recipe box.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
Pin this delicious soup recipe on your Pinterest board so you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by! I’m so happy you found us.
Here are More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Low Carb Cabbage Soup
- How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth
- New England Clam Chowder
- Smoked Salmon Chowder
- Best Toppings for Tomato Soup
- Creamy Chilled Watermelon Soup
- The Best Turkey Noodle Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- The Best Cantaloupe Gazpacho
- The BEST Frogmore Chowder Recipe