This Easy Mushroom Stroganoff looks as good as it tastes and is made with egg noodles, cremini mushrooms, smoked paprika, and sour cream. The perfect vegetarian version of beef stroganoff that everyone will love.
Comfort food recipes are the most popular ones on this site. Cozy living is what Montana Happy is all about, and recipes like To-Die-For Hungarian Mushroom Soup and The Best Sautéed Mushrooms will give you the flavor you’ve been searching for in your family meals.
Easy Mushroom Stroganoff
This creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe has extra-wide egg noodles, which takes this recipe from good to great. With just a few ingredients, you can have dinner on the plate with lots of oohs and aahs when your family’s fork hits their mouths.
Not only do adults love this classic comfort food, but kids do too. It’s an easy way to get your children to eat more mushrooms, and the creamy noodles will encourage clean plates. This recipe will become a favorite on your regular rotation.
How do you make mushroom stroganoff?
Homemade Mushroom Stroganoff starts by making the extra-wide egg noodles according to package instructions. Then you sauté your sliced cremini mushrooms in a skillet with olive oil and butter. Add in garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in the remaining butter, flour, broth, and sour cream.
Serve the savory stroganoff sauce with tender mushrooms over your cooked extra-wide egg noodles and top with chopped parsley.
What to serve with mushroom stroganoff
Homemade mushroom stroganoff is a filling dish all by itself, but adding some rolls to sop up the remaining sauce is a wise move. Trust me – you’ll want to enjoy every drop.
A side salad is always an excellent addition to make a complete meal. Mandarin Orange Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette is a delicious recipe you’ll love.
How to store fresh mushrooms
When buying fresh mushrooms, look for ones with closed gills with smooth, firm caps. Avoid ones that have brown spots or cracks. You also don’t want mushrooms that are moist or shriveled.
Keep your mushrooms unwashed until you use them. If you buy your mushrooms in a container, leave them in it until you are ready to use them. The containers they put mushrooms in are made to breathe, enabling them to release the ethylene gas they give off.
The plastic wrap will keep the mushrooms fresh until you break the seal. Once you break the seal, leave the remaining mushrooms in the container and cover them with more plastic wrap.
Cremini mushrooms will last four to seven days in the refrigerator.
How to clean cremini mushrooms
You don’t want to wash or soak mushrooms because they are porous and will absorb the water. Try cleaning them with a damp cloth or paper towel.
If your mushrooms have a lot of dirt on them, use a soft mushroom brush. Rinse them with water and immediately dry them thoroughly. Use them right away, otherwise the water will make them get slimy.
Trim the stems on whole mushrooms before slicing.
Interesting mushroom facts
Did you know that mushrooms are often thought of as vegetables, but they are really a fungus? Some people feel like they should be put in their own category because they are neither plant nor animal.
The largest mushroom in the world grows in Oregon. It spans 2,200 acres. This mushroom is the largest living organism on the planet.
One tiny region in the United States produces 65% of the nation’s mushroom production. They are grown in Chester County, Pennsylvania. That county produces over 400 million pounds a year.
For all you mushroom lovers, there is an annual mushroom festival held in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. You can find out more about the festival here.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe on making easy mushroom stroganoff, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 98,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s the recipe for Homemade Mushroom Stroganoff
Ingredients for Mushroom Stroganoff
1 package extra-wide classic egg noodles (12 oz.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 packages sliced cremini mushrooms (8 oz each)
2 minced garlic cloves
2 fresh thyme sprigs
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
Directions on How to Make Mushroom Stroganoff
- In a large pot, cook extra-wide egg noodles according to instructions. Remove the egg noodles from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until golden brown. Mix in minced garlic, thyme sprigs, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in extra butter and flour for 2 more minutes. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil, constantly whisking for 5 minutes. Remove the large skillet from heat.
- Mix in sour cream and combine. Serve the creamy mushroom sauce on top of drained pasta noodles and give it a quick stir. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or other fresh herbs. Season with extra black pepper if desired.
Recipe Card for Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff with Nutritional Information
This easy mushroom stroganoff recipe looks as good as it tastes. It's made with egg noodles, cremini mushrooms, smoked paprika, and sour cream. It's the perfect meatless meal that everyone will love.
- 1 package extra-wide egg noodles (12 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 packages cremini sliced mushrooms (8 oz. each)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, cook extra-wide egg noodles according to instructions. Remove the egg noodles from the heat and cover.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic, thyme sprigs, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in extra butter and flour, and stir for 2 more minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, whisking constantly for minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and mix together. Serve mushroom stroganoff on top of drained noodles and top with chopped parsley.
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 63mgSodium 942mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 5g
Tips for Making Meatless Mushroom Stroganoff
- You can substitute chicken broth with vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian dish.
- White mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, wild mushrooms are easy swaps for cremini mushrooms.
- Baby bella mushrooms, baby portobello mushrooms, and cremini mushrooms are the same type of mushroom.
- I tried this easy recipe with Amish Kitchens Homestyle Extra Wide Egg Noodles. You can find them here on Amazon.
- You can top the creamy sauce with Parmesan cheese.
- Greek yogurt can replace sour creaming in this vegetarian stroganoff.
- Regular paprika can replace smoked paprika.
- Low sodium broth or vegetable stock can replace the regular chicken broth.
How long does easy mushroom stroganoff last in the fridge?
When stored properly, this homemade mushroom stroganoff lasts in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
Can you freeze mushroom stroganoff?
You can freeze the easy mushroom stroganoff without adding the sour cream or cooked pasta to the mixture. When you freeze dairy products and reheat them, they have a different grainy texture.
How to Make Homemade Egg Noodles
Please let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy mushroom stroganoff recipe. I love hearing from readers!
Don’t forget to take look at the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. You can join the group here.
I created a pin for you to add to your Pinterest food board so you can refer back to the easy mushroom stroganoff recipe.
More Pasta Recipes for You to Explore
- Creamy Baked Lemon Noodles
- Balsamic Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
- Perfect Penne Pesto Pasta
- Yummy Macaroni Salad with Tuna
Delicious Mushroom Recipes You’ll Love
If you want to learn more about mushrooms, Mushrooms: Types, How to Store and Clean, Nutrition will give you some tips