Cold fruit soups are the perfect way to celebrate the sweetness of summer, and this Spicy Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Ginger is an ideal dish on hot days.
When I lived near Seattle, I always went to this restaurant in Kingston, WA, a ferry ride away when my sister was in town.
It was one of those quirky restaurants that we all love. Everything was homemade, and the menu changed seasonally. In the summer they had cold melon soup recipes.
Sadly, the restaurant closed many years ago – but we bought their cookbook and featured this recipe. The original recipe had peaches instead of cantaloupe and an additional 1/4 cup of sweet white wine.
My sister decided to switch things up, and this recipe is the result. I love the mix of sweet and spicy – so this recipe fits the bill.
There was one time my sister’s husband was in Seattle for business. Before he left, he had to pick up various pies and pastries from this restaurant and bring them home to my sister. When my brother-in-law is looking for a story to support what a saint he is, this is the one he brings up.
Hunting for fun new restaurants has become a lifelong hobby. When you discover restaurants where their passion for food is in every bite, you know you have a winner.
Chilled cantaloupe soup is one of those vegetarian recipes with he perfect summer flavor. You can use this recipe for a light dinner or make it a dessert soup. I’ve tried many melon soups, and this recipe is one of my favorites.
Interesting Facts about Cantaloupe
I always like to include some tidbits about the food I feature in the recipes. Now you don’t have to go through life not knowing where cantaloupe got its name. You’ll thank me later.
- Cantaloupe is the most popular melon in the United States, according to Aghires.com. Most of the melons are grown in California, Texas, and Arizona. The United States is also the leading country that consumes the most melons.
- Cantaloupes got their name from the town of Cantalupo, Italy.
- Did you know the average-sized cantaloupe only has about 100 calories? That’s a lot of yumminess for so few calories!
- One cup of cantaloupe has 95% of your daily requirement for vitamin C.
What Ingredients You’ll Need for this Cantaloupe Melon Soup
- Cantaloupe – You’ll want your cantaloupe ripe. Avoid cantaloupes with soft or brown spots. Just like the three bears, you’re looking for one that is not too soft and not too hard. Ripe cantaloupes also have a sweet aroma.
- Ginger root – Did you know you can freeze ginger root? Now you’ll always have some on hand.
- Cayenne Pepper – Adjust the heat according to your taste. I like to sprinkle extra cayenne on my cantaloupe soup because I like it spicy!
- Limes – Lemons and limes are two ingredients I always have on hand. There’s so much you can do with these versatile fruits.
- Greek yogurt – You can substitute sour cream or a vegan version of sour cream or yogurt in the recipe.
- Salt – If you still have iodine salt in your cupboards to cook with – exchange it with mineral salt. Much better tasting and better for you.
- Nutmeg – Could you get a cuter word? Seriously. Having nutmeg in the world makes it a much better place to live.
- Honey – Did you know that buying local honey will help with allergies? Make sure the honey is from your immediate area.
Cozy Living Group
Since you found this recipe for chilled cantaloupe soup, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 85,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to live your life a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s How to Make Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Ginger Recipe
Ingredients for Cantaloupe Soup with Yogurt
4 cups chopped medium cantaloupe
1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger root
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice and zest of 2 limes
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
Directions for Making Chilled Cantaloupe Soup
- Purée the chopped cantaloupe in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour the cantaloupe into a large bowl and mix in the ginger root, cayenne pepper, lime juice and zest, yogurt, salt, nutmeg, and honey. The soup should be a creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if needed.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Pour chilled soup into bowls and garnish the cantaloupe soup with whipped cream, strawberry salsa, or a sprinkle of extra cayenne pepper.
Printable Version of this Ginger Cantaloupe Soup Yogurt
Cold fruit soups are the perfect way to celebrate the summer and this Spicy Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Ginger is the perfect meal on a hot day.
- 4 cups chopped cantaloupe
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger root
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice and zest 2 limes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
1. Purée the chopped cantaloupe in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Pour the purée into a medium-sized bowl and mix in the ginger, cayenne pepper, lime juice and zest, yogurt, salt, nutmeg, and honey.
3. Taste and adjust the sweetness.
4. Chill for 1 hour.
5. Serve the chilled soup garnished with a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, whipped cream, or strawberry salsa.
1. Add a 1/4 of cup of sweet white wine for variety.
2. You can substitute peaches, nectarines, strawberries, papaya, or mango for the cantaloupe.
Amount Per Serving Calories 153Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 3mgSodium 216mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 28gProtein 8g
Tips for Making Cold Cantaloupe Soup
- For a different taste, add 1/4 cup of sweet white wine in your chilled melon soup recipe.
- You can substitute peaches, nectarines, strawberries, papaya, or mango for the cantaloupe.
- Here is the ultimate list of ideas to find out other ways to garnish your favorite soup recipe.
- You can add orange juice to make the soup sweeter.
- A melon baller is a great way to scoop the flesh out of the cantaloupe.
- Cold soups look beautiful with a dollop of whipped cream and mint leaves.
- Pour soup in small Mason jars when serving as a starter course.
- Add more Greek yogurt if you want a more creamy texture.
- A drizzle of olive oil will also look beautiful as a garnish on melon soups.
How long does Chilled Cantaloupe Soup last in the refrigerator?
Cold Cantaloupe Soup will last up to two days in the refrigerator when properly stored in an airtight container.
What to serve with Cantaloupe Cold Soup?
Please let me know in the comments how you liked this recipe with summery flavor. It’s the perfect recipe for a hot summer day. I love hearing from my readers!
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Facebook Group; you won’t believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Check out my other soup recipes below. There’s also a cantaloupe soup pin for Pinterest below, so you don’t lose this recipe.
Thanks for stopping by! I’m so happy you found us.
Other Amazing Soup Recipes
- Beefy Low Carb Cabbage Soup
- Smoked Salmon Chowder Recipe
- Gourmet Restaurant’s Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Authentic New England Clam Chowder
- How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Caramelized Cream of Onion Soup
- Best Soups with Easy Recipes (All my soup recipes in one spot!)
- How to Use Crystalized Ginger
- How to Eat Ginger Root – Lots of Ideas!
- The Best Cantaloupe Gazpacho Recipe
Additional Melon Soups Recipes
Spicy Chilled Cantaloupe Soup Recipe Pin for Pinterest