This Creamy Easy White Chicken Chili is a recipe that you will become a legend for making. Strong statement…I know. This recipe is seriously the best creamy white chicken chili recipe ever.
My sister told me about this dish for weeks when I went to her house to try it for myself. One spoonful of this creamy goodness, and I was in love with this recipe!
The best part about this white chicken chili is that even though it has a lot of ingredients, it’s super easy to make because everything is made in one pot.
Rotisserie chicken or baked chicken breast, onions, Great Northern beans, chicken broth, green chili, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and seasoning turn this white chili recipe with chicken into something spectacular.
I’m on a mission to find the most amazing recipes that people love and are super easy to make. I bet you are too! Why take the time to make food that’s boring and lacking flavor when you can create fantastic-tasting dishes instead?
This soup recipe has a great flavor that the whole family will love. It can be made on the stove top, in an Instant Pot, or a crock pot.
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you clicked on this creamy white chicken chili recipe, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 93,000 like-minded souls.
The original recipe was found Taste of Home, I changed a few of the steps and ingredients.
How to Make Creamy Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe:
Ingredients for White Chili with Chicken
1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 medium chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cans (15-ounce sized) Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
2 cans chopped green chiles (4-ounce)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Shredded jalapeno monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and sliced seeded jalapeño pepper are all optional toppings
How do you make white chicken chili from scratch?
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic powder with the canola oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the shredded chicken, beans, chicken stock, chiles, and seasonings to the large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and heavy cream. If desired, top with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, green onions, lime wedges, or sliced jalapeño peppers if desired.
Best White Chicken Chili Recipe Card with Nutritional Information
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15-ounce) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cans diced green chiles (4-ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic powder with the canola oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add in shredded chicken, beans, broth, chiles, and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from heat.
Amount Per Serving Calories 338Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 102mgSodium 784mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 24g
Tips for making flavorful white chicken chili:
- You can substitute hatch chiles for green chiles. Just add the hatch chilis to the onions when you sauté them.
- You can replace Great Northern beans with white beans, navy beans, pinto beans, or cannellini beans.
- Omit the cayenne pepper if you would prefer a milder chile. You could always add it in at the end.
- Substitute a cooked chicken breast or leftover chicken for rotisserie chicken.
- If you’re looking for exciting ways to top your soups, take a look at Best Soup Topping Ideas.
- Minced garlic cloves can be substituted for garlic powder.
- To make this white chili thicker, add some cream cheese.
Toppings for white chicken chili
- Shredded cheese
- Jalapeño slices
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Tortilla chips
- Tortilla strips
- Green onions
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
What goes well with white chili?
You’ll want to sop up all that goodness with some rolls.
Cornbread also goes well with white chicken chili.
A nice side salad is also the perfect accompaniment to this dish.
Can you make the white chili recipe thicker?
Yes, you can make the creamy white chicken chili thicker. Blend one of the drained, rinsed cans of beans before adding to the chili.
How long does chicken chili last in the refrigerator?
Properly stored in an airtight container, white chili with chicken will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze this white chili with chicken recipe?
Soups with dairy don’t freeze well. When you reheat the soup, the dairy separates and tastes grainy. I would not recommend it unless freezing the chili before adding the sour cream and heavy cream.
How to make white bean chicken chili in the slow cooker:
- Cook the onions and garlic powder in the olive oil for a few minutes in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add to the crockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except for sour cream, heavy cream, and toppings.
- Slow cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in sour cream and heavy cream. Top bowls with your favorite toppings. Crockpot white chicken chili will become a family favorite.
We’ve reached the end of the Easy White Chili Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Tell me in the comments below how you liked this easy white bean chili recipe.
Don’t forget to join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Pin this creamy white chili recipe with chicken below on your favorite recipe board on Pinterest.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Authentic New England Clam Chowder
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Spicy Chilled Cantaloupe Soup
- Amazing Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Smoked Salmon Chowder
- The Best Leftover Turkey Chili Recipe
- Best Soups with Easy Recipes (all of my soup recipes in one place!)
You can also FOLLW ME on PINTEREST for more great recipes!