Creamy White Chili Recipe with Chicken is a recipe that you will become a legend for making. Strong statement…I know. This recipe is seriously the best creamy white chicken chili recipe you’ll ever have.
My sister told me about this dish for weeks when I finally went over to her house to try it for myself. One spoonful of this creamy goodness, and I was in love with this recipe!
The best part about this white chicken chili is that even though it has a lot of ingredients, it’s super easy to make because everything is cooked in one pot.
Rotisserie chicken or baked chicken breast, onions, Great Northern beans, chicken broth, green chili, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, along with seasoning turns this dish into something spectacular.
I’m on a mission to find the most amazing recipes that people love and are super easy to make. I bet you are too! Why take the time to make food that’s boring and lacking flavor when you can make fantastic tasting dishes instead?
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you clicked on this creamy white chili recipe with chicken, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 50,000 like-minded souls.
The original recipe was found Taste of Home, I changed a few of the steps and ingredients.
How to Make Creamy White Chili Recipe with Chicken:
Ingredients for Creamy White Chicken Chili
1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 medium chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cans (15-ounce sized) Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
2 cans chopped green chiles (4-ounce)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Shredded jalapeno monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and sliced seeded jalapeño pepper are all optional toppings
How do you make white chicken chili from scratch?
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic powder with the canola oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the chicken, beans, chicken stock, chiles, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and heavy cream. Top with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, or sliced jalapeño peppers if desired.
- 1 pound rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-ounce) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cans diced green chiles (4-ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic powder with the canola oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add in shredded chicken, beans, broth, chiles, and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from heat.
Tips for making creamy white chicken chili:
- You can substitute hatch chilis for green chilis. Just add the hatch chilis to the onions when you sauté them.
- Great Northern beans can be replaced with white beans or cannellini beans.
- Omit the cayenne pepper if you would prefer a milder chili. You could always add it in at the end.
- Substitute cooked chicken breast for rotisserie chicken.
- Add some fresh cilantro for some color and taste.
What goes well with white chicken chili?
You’re going to want to sop up all that goodness with some rolls. Cornbread also goes well with creamy white chili recipe with chicken.
A nice side salad is also the perfect accompaniment to this dish.
Can you make easy white chicken chili thicker?
Yes, you can make the creamy white chicken chili thicker. Simply blend one of the drained, rinsed cans of beans before adding to the chili.
How long does white chicken chili last in the refrigerator?
Properly stored in an airtight container, white chili with chicken will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze creamy white chicken chili?
Soups with dairy don’t freeze well. When they are reheated, the dairy separates and tastes grainy. I would not recommend UNLESS you just freeze the chili before adding the sour cream and heavy cream.
How to make white chicken chili in the slow cooker:
- Cook onions and garlic powder in the canola oil for a few minutes. Add to the crockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except for sour cream, heavy cream, and toppings.
- Slow cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in sour cream and heavy cream. Top bowls with your favorite toppings. Crockpot white chicken chili will become a family favorite.
We’ve reached the end of the Creamy White Chili Recipe with Chicken. I hope you enjoyed it.
Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss a post. You wouldn’t want to miss other recipes like Smoked Salmon Chowder
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy white chili recipe.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Pin this creamy white chili recipe with chicken below on your soup board on Pinterest.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
Don’t Miss My Other Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Authentic New England Clam Chowder
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Amazing Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Best Soups with Easy Recipes (all of my soup recipes in one place!)
You can also FOLLW ME on PINTEREST for more great recipes!