Mushrooms. Don’t you just love them? I definitely get on a mushroom kick at the first sign of fall. This Most Amazing Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe is my favorite for when I crave a side of those tasty veggies.
“The sudden appearance of mushrooms after a summer rain is one of the more impressive spectacles of the plant world.” – John Tyler Bonner
I’m all about easy recipes because I don’t have the time, nor the patience to cook elaborate meals. I guess you don’t either.
This mushroom side dish recipe will also have your guests thinking they are dining in a gourmet restaurant without paying the high prices. Easy and delicious – what could be better than that?
If you’re looking for another mushroom recipe, you have to try my To-Die-For Rustic Hungarian Soup. Yes, it really is that good. If you don’t believe me – look at the comments!
You can also use these healthy sautéed mushrooms on sliced mushrooms for a topping for steaks or baked potatoes. This is one of the best mushroom recipes.
Mushrooms are often thought of as vegetables, but they are really a fungus. There are over 38,000 different varieties of mushrooms.
Best way to store mushrooms:
If you buy your mushrooms in a container, that’s the best way to continue storing them. The reason for this is, the containers they put them in are designed to breathe, so mushrooms are able to release the ethylene gas they give off.
The plastic wrap will on top of the containers will help keep the mushrooms fresh until you break the seal. Once you do, simply store the remaining mushrooms in the same container and add more plastic wrap to the top.
Mushrooms last 4-7 days in the refrigerator.
If you don’t buy your mushrooms in a container, the next best method of storing mushrooms according to Cook’s Illustrated is to place your mushrooms in a plastic bag, with the top slightly open so the mushrooms can breathe.
Best way to clean mushrooms:
You don’t want to wash or soak your mushrooms because they are porous and will absorb the water. It will make them taste watery.
Try cleaning your mushrooms with a damp cloth or paper towel first. You can also use a soft mushroom brush. If the mushrooms still have a lot of dirt on them, rinse with water and then immediately dry them thoroughly.
If you don’t cook them right away, the water will cause them to get slimy.
For something fun to do, how about growing your own mushrooms right at home?
Back to the Roots Organic Mushroom Kit on Amazon will help you get started
How long do cooked mushrooms last in the fridge?
When stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bags, cooked mushrooms last between 3 and 5 days in the refrigerator.
What is the secret to beautifully browned mushrooms?
When you stir your mushrooms, it causes the mushrooms to steam – which will hamper caramelizing them. The better way, is to leave them alone.
What else can you do with sautéed mushrooms besides using them as a side dish?
1) You can use them to top off an amazing salad.
2) They make a perfect filler for baked potatoes.
3) Add them to your scrambled eggs for a burst of flavor.
4) Use them to top baked crostini, along with cream cheese.
5) Top your pasta with these delicious morsels.
6) Add some sautéed mushrooms to your quesadilla.
Since you love to cook, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 5,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Are sautéed mushrooms good for you?
Yes! Mushrooms are a great source of fiber and protein.
Some of the nutrients they have are potassium, copper, selenium, and B vitamins.
They also are a good source of vitamin D when the mushrooms have had sun exposure.
Ingredients for the Most Amazing Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound Baby Bella mushrooms
2 tablespoons red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced (I use two, because I love garlic!)
1/4 teaspoon shallot salt or garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the Most Amazing Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe:
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
When the butter has melted, add the red wine, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, shallot salt and salt and pepper.Mix together and add the mushrooms.
Cook together for about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are brown.
Lower heat to simmer and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
Garnish with minced parsley and serve immediately.
Here’s the printable Most Amazing Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced (I use two because I love garlic!)
- 1/4 teaspoon shallot salt or garlic salt
- 1/2 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- When the butter/oil misture has melted, add the red wine, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, shallot salt and salt and pepper. Mix together and add mushrooms.
- Cook together for 5 minutes, unitl mushrooms are browned.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Garnish with minced parsley and serve immediately.
Notes for making Sautéed Mushrooms:
1) You can substitute button mushrooms in this recipe.
2) White wine works as a substitute for red wine.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
1) A large saucepan. I use ceramic saucepans because they are the healthiest pans to use and won’t transfer a metallic taste to food. You can find a set of ceramic saucepans on Amazon here.
2) If you are cutting down on your salt intake, you could always use Liquid Amios or garlic powder instead of the shallot or garlic salt. You can find Liquid Amios here. This is a large bottle and it substitutes for soy sauce also.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried the recipe and how you liked these easy sautéed mushrooms.
Make sure you sign up to receive new posts because you might miss out on something life-changing like The Most Delicious Meatloaf Ever. If you don’t think a recipe will change your life, then you haven’t tried the right one!
Thanks for stopping by.