Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes Apples Recipe paired together makes an amazing tasting side dish. Add a topping of brown sugar combined with butter and you’ve got heaven on your plate.
Not only does this recipe taste delicious, but it looks beautiful too! It’s the perfect side dish for your holiday meal.
I found this recipe in the Christmas with Southern Living Cookbook. The original recipe called for double the amount of sauce. I found that it was way too much sauce, so I cut the ingredients in half.
The funny story of this recipe is that I couldn’t get a decent picture of it, no matter how many times I made it. So, I ended up making it five days in a row and gave it to my neighbors because I was still eating the first one.
I’m still asked by them if I have made it again. They want more.
One thing I learned about making it so many times was that if you want it to look uniformed, you want to pick sweet potatoes and apples that are the same width.
I like to add some fun facts about what I cook with because it’s really something we never think about.
Sweet Potato Trivia – Great for Dinnertime Conversation
February is National Sweet Potato month.
North Carolina is the top grower of sweet potatoes in the United States. (That will be convenient, since I’m moving to North Carolina!) It’s the state’s official vegetable.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese, calcium, potassium, and iron.
Livingston, California has an annual Sweet Potato Harvest Festival. You can find out more here.
Amazon has a soy candle called “Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie.” I bet that smells like heaven.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes
Do not store sweet potatoes in the refrigerator. Doing so, will cause sweet potatoes to taste bad.
Instead, store in a cool, well-ventilated place. Preferably in the dark – like a basement or root cellar.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe for Candied Sweet Potatoes Apples, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 70,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s the Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples Recipe
Ingredients for Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples
2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled (about 3)
3 large cooking apples
1/2 cup butter (1 stick of butter)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes Apples Recipe
1) Heat water to boiling. Cut peeled sweet potatoes in half and add to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes and then let cool down enough to handle.
2) Meanwhile, core apples and slice into 1/2″ rings.
3) Once sweet potatoes are cooled down, slice in 1/2″ rings also.
4) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5) Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar, apple cider and salt. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add vanilla and remain from heat.
6) Layer sweet potato and apple slices in a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Pour cooked glaze evenly over sweet potato and apple slices.
7) Bake uncovered for one hour. After 30 minutes, bast glaze and return to oven for 30 more minutes.
Printable Version Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples Recipe
Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples paired together makes an amazing tasting side dish. Add a topping of brown sugar combined with butter and you've got heaven on your plate.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled (about 3)
- 3 large cooking apples
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick of butter)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large pot, heat water to a boiling. Cut peeled sweet potatoes in half and add to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes and then let cool down enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, core apples and slice into 1/2" rings.
- Once sweet potatoes or yams have cooled down, slice into 1/2" rings also.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add brown sugar, apple cider, and salt. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until sauce thickens. Add vanilla and remove from the heat.
- Layer sweet potatoes and apple slices in a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Pour cooked glaze evenly over sweet potato and apple slices.
- Baked uncovered for one hour. After 30 minutes, bast glaze and return to oven for 30 minutes more.
Tips for making Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes Apples
You can substitute yams for sweet potatoes.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
1) Potato Peeler.
Find out how having the right potato peeler can make your life so much easier. You can find the OXO Good Grips Peeler here.
Other things for your Thanksgiving meal:
If you struggle like me to have the room in your oven for everything, I thought this roaster would be a useful addition to help make your Thanksgiving flawless. Oster Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid
Pretty lights dotted throughout the home transform the ho-hum into magic. In our cozy living group, we all love fairy lights. I thought these leaves with lights would be beautiful. Maple leaf string lights by Azawa
Let me know in the comments below how you liked the recipe.
Do you have special memories associated with Thanksgiving? If so, I would love to here about them.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Pin this recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Green Chile Rice with Sour Cream
- Parmesan Butternut Squash Risotto
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe