How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes is a simple and delicious recipe made of sweet potatoes, butter, heavy cream, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Sweet potatoes are one of my root vegetables to use in my dishes. This recipe is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients and has such a rich flavor.
Instead of boiling your sweet potatoes, you use my favorite method of slow-cooking them in a saucepan. Boiling sweet potatoes makes them lose some of their flavors, in my opinion.
You’re not going to believe how tasty these mashed sweet potatoes are. Top with a little regualar butter, brown sugar, and fresh herbs and you’ll lick your plate clean.
Sweet potatoes go well with rich meat such as pork, ham, duck, and poultry. This perfect side dish recipe is not just for your holiday meal like Thanksgiving dinner. It’s also perfect for a weeknight dinner.
One person I know adds pieces of a dark chocolate candy bar to her mashed sweet potatoes. She said it tasted like chocolate cake. I thought this was a brilliant idea.
“At Thanksgiving, my mom always makes too much food, especially one item, like 700 or 800 pounds of sweet potatoes. She’s got to push it during the meal. “Did you get some sweet potatoes? There’s sweet potatoes. They’re hot. There’s more in the oven, some more in the garage. The rest are at the Johnson’s.”Louie Anderson
Fun Facts About Sweet Potatoes
1) North Carolina is the number one producer of sweet potatoes in the United States. The sweet potato is the state’s official vegetable.
2) Sweet potatoes are roots. Potatoes are tubers.
3) Sweet potatoes are a member of the morning glory family.
4) Not only can you eat the sweet potato, but you can also eat the leaves, shoots, and stems.
5) Sweet potatoes are pretty easy to grow. It is heat and drought resistant. They are also resistant to disease and pests.
6) Sweet potatoes have high levels of Vitamin C and A, potassium, iron, and fiber.
7) According to the Just Fun Facts website, before George Washington became the President of the United States, he was a sweet potato farmer.
8) The flesh of sweet potatoes come in four different colors – white, yellow, purple, or orange flesh.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes
1) Do NOT refrigerate sweet potatoes, unless you’re storing cooked sweet potatoes. Refrigerating sweet potatoes causes them to taste different, and they will spoil faster.
2) For the best sweet potatoes, store in a cool, dry spot.
3) Don’t wash sweet potatoes until you use them. Moisture promotes spoilage, according to Farmers Almanac.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on a recipe for how to make mashed sweet potatoes, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Lifewith over 65,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients for Mashed Sweet Potatoes
2 pounds whole sweet potatoes (3 medium or 2 large approximately)
4 tablespoons butter, cut into four pieces
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
Directions for How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1) Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into pieces.
2) Combine sweet potatoes, butter, cream, salt, and sugar in a large saucepan.
3) Cover the pan, and cook over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes. The potatoes are done when they fall apart when you poke them with a fork.
4) Take the pan off the heat and mash the potatoes with a potato masher until it has a creamy texture.
5) Season with salt and pepper and add a little pad of butter to the top.
Printable Recipe Card of Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes is a simple and delicious recipe made of sweet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (approximately 3 medium or 2 large)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into four pieces
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt & freshly ground pepper to season
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Combine sweet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Cover the pan, and cook over low heat for 35 to 45 minutes. The potatoes are done when they fall apart when you poke them with a fork.
- Take the pan off the heat and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Amount Per Serving Calories 335Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 39mgSodium 513mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 8gSugar 16gProtein 5g
Tips for Making Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1) Don’t throw away the sweet potato skins! I like to cook mine in the same pan I did the mashed sweet potatoes and give them as treats to my dogs.
2) Add a little pure maple syrup to the potatoes for another layer of yumminess.
3) Replace sugar with brown sugar and add one tablespoon of bourbon for boozy mashed sweet potatoes.
4) If you want to jazz up your mashed sweet potatoes with other spices, here are some ideas:
- fresh thyme
- chili pepper flakes
- orange zest
- orange juice
5) You can substitute coconut milk for regular milk and vegan butter for regular butter to make the dish vegan.
7) An immersion blender or a hand mixer can be used in place of a potato masher.
8) Add some parmesan cheese, fried sage leaves, and brown butter for savory flavor.
9) For a more rustic mash, simply go lighter on mashing the potatoes.
Does Mashed Sweet Potatoes Freeze Well?
It’s simple to freeze mashed sweet potatoes. Just follow these basic steps.
1) Let your mashed sweet potatoes cool completely. You can put them in the refrigerator before the freezer.
2) Place the mash potatoes in a freezer-safe container or bag. Make sure the air is removed as much as possible in the bag before freezing.
3) Put mashed sweet potatoes in the freezer. They will last up to 12 months in the freezer.
How to Reheat Mashed Sweet Potatoes after Freezing
1) Thaw mashed sweet potatoes by placing them in the refrigerator.
2) Reheat sweet potatoes in a microwave or on the stove in a saucepan.
How long are Mashed Sweet Potatoes Good for?
When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, sweet potatoes last anywhere from 3 to 5 days.
We’ve reached the end of How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this how to make mashed sweet potatoes recipe.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- 31 Simple Ways to Add Flavor to Mashed Potatoes
- Buffalo Potato Wedges
- What to do with Leftover Potato Peels
- Easy Green Chile Rice with Sour Cream Casserole
More Vegetable Recipes
- Best Recipe for Sautéed Mushrooms
- Savory Zucchini Caprese Pancakes
- Parmesan Cauliflower Steaks
- The Best Sweet Potato Soup Recipe