Green Chile Rice Casserole with Sour Cream is the perfect side dish that is so easy to make. It has so much flavor that it is sure to be a family favorite! This simple casserole dish has white rice, mild green chiles, Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper.
Sour cream paired with rice makes a delicious combination. Add some cheese, throw in some green chiles, and your tastebuds will thank you!
I made this recipe years ago and lost it. After I moved, I went through every scrap of paper and found it! Yay! This rice casserole recipe came from one of those vintage church cookbooks called Very Finest Recipes.
Don’t you love experimenting with unique recipes? When I see any recipe with diced green chiles, you know I will be testing it out.
This recipe is perfect for a cozy dinner at home. It pairs well with any meat – but especially roasted chicken. Add candlelight and beautiful music playing in the background, and you have the recipe for a memorable evening.
You’ll want to watch the dish so it doesn’t burn. A golden brown top is what you’re striving for.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe for Green Chile Rice with Sour Cream, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group with over 117,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, things that leave you in awe, and how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Simple Ingredients Listing
- White rice
- Mild green chiles
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper
Here’s a photo of the sprinkling of grated Monterey Jack cheese and the pads of butter.
Here’s How to Make Green Chile Rice with Sour Cream
Sour Cream Rice with Green Chile Ingredients
1 cup white uncooked rice
1 small can diced green chiles (4 oz)
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
2 cups sour cream
4 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Making Creamy Rice Casserole
Cook rice according to the package instructions and drain.
In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked rice, can of green chiles, grated cheese, and sour cream. Leave enough grated cheese aside to sprinkle on top later. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Grease a 9″ x 9″ prepared baking dish or casserole dish and pour the rice mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the extra cheese on top and dot with butter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes on the middle rack. Serve immediately.
Printable Recipe Card for Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole with Nutritional Information
This green chile rice and sour cream casserole makes the perfect side dish and is so easy to make! It has amazing flavor that everyone will love.
- 1 cup raw white rice
- 1 small can diced green chiles (4 oz)
- 1/2 pound Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the white rice according to package instructions and drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked rice, diced chiles, grated cheese, and sour cream. Leave enough grated cheese set aside to sprinkle on top later. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 9" x 9" baking dish and spoon rice mixture in the pan. Sprinkle the extra cheese on top and dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 103mgSodium 382mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 0gSugar 3gProtein 13g
Tips for Making Sour Cream Rice with Green Chiles
- You can substitute brown rice for white rice.
- Top with green onions for a beautiful garnish.
- Pepper Jack cheese or cheddar cheese can be substituted for Monterey Jack cheese.
- Serve this great side dish with the main course and green salads for the perfect comfort food.
- You can add diced onion or garlic for more flavor.
- Cooking the rice in chicken broth instead of water will give this recipe more depth.
- Black beans, red roasted pepper, and rotisserie chicken are all fun additions to this cheesy green chili rice casserole.
- Using half cream cheese and half sour cream will make an even more creamy casserole dish.
- You can add more green chilies to the recipe if you like a bit of a kick in your rice casserole dish.
How long does this green chile rice recipe last in the refrigerator?
When stored in an airtight container, green chili rice will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Can you freeze this Creamy Rice Casserole?
Because this dish contains dairy, it’s best not to freeze this side dish. Frozen dairy ingredients like sour cream do not reheat well and taste grainy. The good news is – I doubt there will be any leftover rice because it will be gobbled up.
It’s time to dive in and enjoy every bite of this easy side dish! This recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
We’ve reached the end of Green Chile Rice with Sour Cream. I hope it becomes one of your favorite side dishes.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried this rice dish for your weeknight dinner and what you thought.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin for this Mexican casserole dish for you to add to your side dish Pinterest board.
Thanks for stopping by! I’m so happy you found us!