Leftover Turkey Chili is the perfect recipe to make when trying to find ways to use leftover shredded turkey. It’s so easy to make, and it is delicious!
The first time I made this, I was hooked. This recipe will be your favorite way to use up leftover turkey meat. It’s the best healthy turkey chili recipe. You can also substitute shredded chicken to make it throughout the year.
There’s a long list of ingredients, but it’s an easy chili to make. I promise you it will be worth the effort!
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this healthy turkey chili recipe, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 93,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cottage.
Here’s How to Make Leftover Turkey Chili with Kidney Beans
Ingredients for Homemade Turkey Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups shredded turkey
2 cups chopped onions
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 heaping tablespoon light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cups canned diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
Directions for Making Turkey Chili on Stove Top
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large skillet. Add the onions, garlic, celery, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, oregano, bay leaves, brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring the chili to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
Mix in the kidney beans, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve the chili hot. Add a dollop of sour cream and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Recipe Card for Leftover Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups shredded turkey
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 - 15 oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, celery, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, oregano, bay leaves, brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for five minutes, stirring.
- Add the shredded turkey, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring the turkey chili to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer. Stir for another five minutes.
- Mix in the kidney beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chili hot. Add a dollop of sour cream and top with shredded cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 637Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 135mgSodium 1430mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 13gSugar 17gProtein 44g
Tips for Making Chili with Turkey Leftovers
- You can add a sweet potato or carrot for more color.
- For more spice, you can use fire-roasted tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes.
- You can add a little cinnamon to the chili for more flavor.
- If you want to add some heat to the chili, you can add cayenne pepper, pickled jalapeños, and minced fresh jalapeños.
- In this easy chili recipe, you can substitute black beans or pinto beans for the kidney beans.
Favorite Chili Toppings
- Fresh Cilantro
- Red Onion
- Corn Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Hot Sauce
- Green Onions
How long does this simple turkey chili last in the refrigerator?
When stored in an airtight container, this easy meal will last up to three days in the refrigerator. Eating this chili the next day allows the depth of flavor to come through, and you’ll love it even more.
Can you freeze this homemade chili recipe?
This spicy turkey chili freezes well and will last 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
If you’re looking more favorite toppings ideas, you can find a list here.
We’ve reached the end of this Easy Turkey Chili Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below if you made yourself a warm bowl of chili and what you thought.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin for you below that you can add to your Pinterest board so you can refer back to the recipe on the next cold day you want to make a pot of chili. I think it will become a favorite recipe.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us.