How to make cucumber salad is an easy recipe that is both good for you and tastes delicious. It’s also easy to make with a combination of cucumbers, grape tomatoes, Vidalia onion, parsley, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper.
This tasty dish is a staple in most Southern kitchens. Most traditional recipes don’t have the honey added, but doing so makes the recipe more kid-friendly and adds a touch of sweetness that takes the dish to another level.
If you’re looking for the perfect recipe that is both good for your family and is something they will love, you’ve found it!
Here are some fun facts about the ingredients in this how to make cucumber salad recipe:
Cucumbers are low in calories yet full of vitamins and minerals. When I peel my cucumbers, I usually leave strands of skin to get the benefit of Vitamin K.
For the best tasting cucumbers, choose the younger specimens that look like they are bursting with juice. They can last up to one week in the refrigerator.
The good news is grape tomatoes have the same nutritional benefits as regular tomatoes. They are rich in lycopene, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin A.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of those home remedies that has been used for centuries because of all the health benefits it offers. You want to make sure you buy apple cider vinegar “with the mother” because the clear apple cider vinegar doesn’t have the same nutritional value.
You can substitute other vinegar for apple cider vinegar in the how to make cucumber salad recipe, but they won’t give you the same benefits.
Raw honey has been used for centuries as an aid for overall health. It has antioxidants that helps protect the body from inflammation.
Did you know that eating local honey may help desensitize you to the pollens in your area?
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on this post for how to make cucumber salad, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 45,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Related Salad Recipes
- Creamy Strawberry Salad Dressing – this amazing salad dressing will wow both your friends and family.
- Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing – you’ll love making your own homemade salad dressings after trying this recipe.
- Creamy Grape Salad Recipe – is the perfect side dish that everyone will love. If you bring it to any gathering it will disappear.
- Watermelon, Feta, and Black Olive Salad – who knew that adding black olives to watermelon would end up being the perfect combination of sweet and salty?
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce – if you’re a cucumber lover, then you will enjoy making this cool sauce at home.
- Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette – here’s a twist on regular cucumber salad. You’ll love both recipes!
Here’s How to Make Cucumber Salad
Ingredients for Cucumber Salad
2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (or other sweet onion)
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons raw honey
Directions for How to Make Cucumber Salad
- In a large bowl, mix together the sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes, Vidalia onion, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. Whisk until honey is dissolved.
- Pour the mixed dressing over the cucumber salad and mix ingredients. Let stand for at least 20 minutes to allow flavors to marinate.
Printable Version for Homemade Cucumber Salad:
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced (or other sweet onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. In a large bowl, mix together the sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes, Vidalia onion, and Italian parsley. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and honey in a separate small bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whisk until honey is dissolved.
3. Pour the mixed dressing over the cucumber salad and mix ingredients. Let stand for 20 minutes to allow flavors to marniate.
Amount Per Serving Calories 52Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 55mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 1g
Tips for Making Cucumber Salad:
- Make sure you use apple cider vinegar “with the mother.” You can easily find it in most grocery stores, or you can order it from Amazon here.
- Adjust the ingredients to your family’s taste. You can add more vinegar if you prefer a more tangy salad or add more honey for a sweeter taste.
- You can also substitute Italian parsley with fresh dill, chives, or any fresh herb you like better.
- The longer you marinate the salad, the better the flavors will be. I like to make my cucumber salad in the morning, so it’s ready for lunch.
- Red onion can be substituted for Vidalia onion.
We’ve reached the end of How to Make Cucumber Salad. I hope you enjoyed it.
Make sure you subscribe, so you don’t miss a post. You wouldn’t want to miss other posts like Homemade French Salad Dressing.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy cucumber salad recipe.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin how to make cucumber salad recipe below on your food board on Pinterest so that you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!