Does it get any better than Grandma’s creamy buttermilk coleslaw recipe? This deliciously creamy coleslaw is a favorite old-fashioned recipe for your family too!
We have to give a great big thanks to the Dutch that brought this delicious recipe with them when they immigrated to the United States. Did you know that coleslaw means “cabbage salad?”
If you’re looking for a delicious coleslaw to bring to family events or simply serve at your BBQ, look no further than grandma’s buttermilk coleslaw. Made with a mix of green and red shredded cabbage, carrots, and green onions – it has the right amount of crunch.
Grandma starts with a base of mayonnaise and buttermilk, then adds a touch of sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and celery seeds. The result is a flavorful buttermilk dressing that will have everyone raving.
I like to use a combination of red cabbage and green cabbage, but feel free to stick to one head of cabbage instead of half of each. You can also replace the cabbage and carrots with a store-bought coleslaw mix if you’re short on time.
I’m always trying new recipes, and this one was a real winner! Good coleslaw is hard to find. You won’t be disappointed.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on this post for how to make Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 70,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s How to Make Grandma’s Buttermilk Coleslaw
Ingredients for Buttermilk Coleslaw
1 head green or purple cabbage, finely shredded
3 carrots, grated
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions for Making Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw:
1) Finely shred cabbage on a mandoline for the right texture. You can find one here on Amazon.
2) Mix cabbage, carrots, and green onion in a large bowl.
3) Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and black pepper in a separate medium bowl until smooth and the sugar dissolved.
4)Pour half the dressing ingredients over the cabbage mixture and mix thoroughly. Keep adding the dressing until it covers all the salad ingredients.
5) Cover the coleslaw and refrigerate for at least two hours.
6) Mix again before serving.
Printable Recipe for the Best Coleslaw Recipe
Does it get any better than Grandma's Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw? This creamy coleslaw is sure to be a favorite old-fashioned recipe for your family too.
- 1 head green or purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Finely shred the cabbage on a mandoline for the right texture.
- Mix cabbage, onions, and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and black pepper in a separate bowl until smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour half the dressing over the cabbage mixture and combine thoroughly. Keep adding dressing until it covers all the salad ingredients.
- Cover the coleslaw and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Mix again before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 130Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 5mgSodium 182mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 2g
Tips for Making Creamy Buttermilk Dressing Coleslaw Recipe
- You can make the creamy coleslaw dressing a couple of days ahead and store it in the refrigerator.
- The healthy apple cider vinegar with the “mother” can be found here.
- You can also use a box grater or food processor to shred the cabbage.
- White vinegar can be substituted for apple cider vinegar.
- You can also add 1/2 of red onion for more flavor.
How long will the creamy coleslaw last in the refrigerator?
Coleslaw will last 3-5 in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze Grandma’s coleslaw?
Coleslaw doesn’t freeze well. The dressing will break down as it thaws.
How do you serve classic coleslaw?
- Add coleslaw on top of hot dogs, fish tacos, fish sandwich, or pulled pork sandwich.
- It makes the perfect side dish for fried chicken, ribs, brisket, and fried fish. Add some potato salad, and you have the ideal meal.
We’ve reached the end of Grandma’s Creamy Buttermilk Best Coleslaw Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it!
Let me know if you tried the recipe and how you liked it. Be sure to follow me. I will be posting more coleslaw recipes.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You will not believe how amazing it is.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
How to Make Cucumber Salad with Apple Cider Vinegar – This salad is both really healthy for you and delicious.
Watermelon Feta and Black Olive Salad – Who knew that adding black olives to watermelon would add up to the perfect combination of sweet and salty?
Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing – You’ll love making salad dressings after trying this recipe. You can use it as a dressing or a dip.
Greek Quinoa Salad – A healthy and yummy salad that is the perfect lunch or dinner.
Creamy Strawberry Salad Dressing – This amazing salad dressing will wow both your family and friends. It’s a great recipe that’s definitely a keeper!
Buttermilk Waffles – Your mornings just got a lot better with these yummy buttermilk waffles.