Avocados, tomatoes and cucumbers. Three vegetables I just love. Create a recipe with the three items together in a salad and you have a divine combination. Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad added with homemade red wine vinaigrette and you have pure heaven.
“It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” – Lewis Grizzard
My sister’s neighbor makes this delicious salad and our entire family just can’t get enough of it. My niece calls it “Payton’s famous salad,” even though we all know who she copied it from. The fact that it tastes fabulous and is healthy on top of it, makes this recipe a true winner.
Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I use Star vinegar)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the diced cucumber, avocados, sweet onion and tomatoes together in a large bowl.
- Add the red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and garlic to a jar with a lid and shake together.
- Drizzle dressing over salad until coated and toss.
- Sprinkle the fresh dill over the salad and season with salt and pepper.
1) You can substitute fresh dill with basil if you prefer.
2) Regular cucumbers can be used in place of an English cucumber, but remove the seeds.
3) Cherry tomatoes or diced Roma tomatoes can replace the grape tomatoes.
3) Liquid stevia or sugar can be substituted for the honey.
4) It is best to let the flavors blend together for about 20 minutes before serving.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter, where you will receive more garden ideas, home decor and recipes. New subscribers will receive my MOST requested recipe: Chicken with Blackberry Cream Sauce.
Let me know if you prepare it in the comments below and what you thought. This dish is also a great to bring to a potluck. Enjoy!