Dill Sauce for Salmon is a simple recipe made of sour cream, mayonnaise, chopped onion, lemon juice, prepared horseradish, dill weed, garlic salt, and freshly ground pepper.
Don’t you love salmon? Finding the perfect sauce to make it taste even better can be difficult. The good news is you don’t have to look anymore. Simple ingredients make this dill cream sauce for salmon so delicious.
You found the recipe that will go perfectly with your baked salmon, salmon patties, poached salmon, grilled salmon, pan-seared salmon fillet, or your favorite fish.
There’s something so special about dill and salmon together in one dish. They go together perfectly.
Did you know that dill was used as currency in the past? Dill was a sign of wealth in ancient Greek and Roman cultures, according to justfunfacts.com.
You might want to reconsider if you don’t have dill growing in your garden. There’s something so special about going outside and cut fresh herbs for the meal you’re about to make.
Making baked salmon filets is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. Serve this creamy dill sauce in a small bowl you can put on the plate or spoon it on top of the salmon with fresh dill.
What fresh salmon is best for baked salmon?
- There are six different types of salmon in North America.
- Atlantic Salmon is sadly on the Endangered Species List.
- Chinook Salmon is the largest of the salmon species. It is also known as King Salmon. It can weigh up to 125 pounds. (That’s a big fish!) Most of them weigh between 10 and 15 pounds. Chinook Salmon can live up to seven years. It’s found in Alaska (the state fish) and the West Coast.
- Chum Salmon (also known as Dog Salmon) average weigh between 10 and 20 pounds. They are also found in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest and live for 3–5 years.
- Pink Salmon is the smallest in size of the types of salmon. They average between 3 and 5 pounds.
- CoHo Salmon are also known as “Silvers” and weigh between 10 and 12 pounds. This fish is also found in Alaska and the West Coast.
- Sockeye Salmon is also known as “reds.” Their average weight is between 5 and 8 pounds.
- Pink salmon and Chum Salmon are the species most used for smoked salmon. They are easier on your wallet.
- There’s a fun annual Salmon Festival located in Issaquah, WA. This event attracts more than 150,000 visitors in two days. You can find out more information about this festival here.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on this easy recipe for lemon dill sauce for roasted salmon, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 122,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s the recipe for Dill Sauce for Salmon
Dill Sauce Ingredients for Salmon
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon (finely) chopped onion
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon dill weed or 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for making Dill Sauce for Salmon
1) Mix ingredients together in a medium bowl.
2) Serve on cooked wild salmon steaks.
3) Garnish with lemon slices and a fresh sprig of dill on each salmon fillet.
Printable Recipe Card of Dill Sauce for Salmon with Nutrition Facts
Dill sauce for salmon is an easy recipe made of sour cream, mayonnaise, chopped onions, lemon juice, prepared horseradish, dill weed, garlic salt, and freshly ground pepper. This delicious sauce will take your salmon recipe to a whole new level.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (finely) chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon dill weed or 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Serve with salmon.
You can substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream.
Adjust the amount of horseradish to your taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 116Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 13mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 1g
Tips for making Creamy Dill Sauce for Salmon
- You can substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream.
- For an extra kick, substitute wasabi horseradish for regular horseradish.
- You can garnish this creamy sauce with fresh dill, dried dill, or lemon zest.
- You can add minced garlic or Dijon mustard to the salmon dill sauce if you want more flavor.
- A shallot can replace the onion in this recipe.
What vegetables go well with this simple salmon recipe?
For a delicious meal, pair salmon and this delicious lemon dill sauce with a simple side salad.
How long to cook salmon?
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush salmon with olive oil and season with your favorite seasoning, like kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place salmon on a baking sheet, skin-side down. Bake until cooked through, approximately 12-15 minutes. Serve with creamy lemon dill sauce.
Baked salmon is one of those easy dinners that your family will love. You can also grill the salmon.
How long does Creamy Dill Sauce for Salmon last in the refrigerator?
Store the extra sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can cover the sauce with plastic wrap. The creamy dill sauce will last up to four days in the fridge.
Can you freeze Creamy Dill Sauce for Salmon?
It’s best not to freeze this salmon dill sauce because it has dairy in the recipe. The consistency of sour cream after being frozen separates and turns gritty after being frozen.
We’ve reached the end of the Dill Sauce for Salmon recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy Dill Sauce for Salmon recipe. I would love also love to hear about your favorite easy salmon recipe.
Be sure to join our Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
Be sure to pin this creamy dill sauce recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest, so that you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Delicious Homemade Sauce Recipes
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Pesto Sauce
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib
- How to Make Buffalo Sauce
- Jalapeno Cranberry Sauce Recipe