This Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil gives a taste of summer in every bite of any dish this yummy recipe graces. It’s a great recipe to use up all the basil you’ve been growing.
What is pesto made of?
Easy pesto recipe with fresh basil is made of fresh basil leaves, garlic cloves, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Pesto’s not just for pasta anymore. You can use this recipe for so many things like French pesto bread, baked potatoes, pesto deviled eggs, pesto chicken salad, pesto hummus, pesto quesadilla, pesto steak, and brushed on shrimp.
I found this recipe in a vintage cookbook. Have you ever heard of those Longaberger handmade baskets? At their factory, they had tours and ran a popular restaurant that the tourists flocked to in droves. This recipe came from their cookbook. You can take a look at the Longaberger Fresh from the Pantry Cookbook here on Amazon.
Vintage cookbooks are one of my favorite things to collect. I’ve finally started going through each one and then donating it to our neighborhood book exchange. The good news for you is that I’m testing each recipe and only putting the delicious ones here.
Another recipe I found in the book that you’ll enjoy was their Honey Pecan Chicken Salad.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found recipe on Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 61,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Interesting Facts about Basil
- Basil is usually used raw in cooking. Cooking basil leaves destroy the flavor of this tasty herb.
- Vitamin K, manganese, copper, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron, folate, and omega-3 fatty acids make basil a nutrient-rich herb.
- Most basil for production for the United States is grown in Arizona, California, Florida, North Carolina, and New Mexico.
“If you’ve got a plot the size of a car or a tiny yard in Italy, you’re going to be growing tomatoes and basil and celery and carrots, and everybody is still connected to the land.”Frances Mayes
Here’s How to Make Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil
Ingredients for Homemade Pesto Recipe
2 cups fresh basil leaves, cleaned and patted dry
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
How to Make this Easy Pesto Recipe
- Place basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and process until blended. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream, processing constantly.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste and process until combined.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Here’s the Printable Version of the Easy Pesto Recipe:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, cleaned and patted dry
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Place basil leaves, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and process until blended. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream, processing constantly.
2. Add in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste and process until combined.
3. Store covered, in the refrigerator until ready to use.
How long does Homemade Pesto last in the Refrigerator?
If you store your easy pesto recipe with fresh basil in an airtight container, it will last about a week. Properly stored in the freezer, the pesto will last up to 6 months.
Please let me know in the comments below how you liked this Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil. I love hearing from my readers!
Don’t forget to take a look at Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is! You can join the group here.
We’ve reached the end of Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil. I hope try it and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Thanks for dropping by!
More Homemade Condiment Recipes
- Best Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe
- How to Make Pizza Sauce in 5 minutes
- How to Make Tzatziki Sauce
- Best Dill Sauce for Salmon
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib
- Quick Refrigerator Pickled Red Onions
- How to Make Olive Tapenade
To find out more about basil, I wrote an article on Interesting Facts About Basil.
Easy Pesto Recipe with Fresh Basil Pin for Pinterest