Hygge at Work: Turn Your Office Into a Cozy Place will teach you how to incorporate the cozy lifestyle wherever you go. Work can sometimes feel like a not-so-hygge place; you can transform your working area by making just a few changes.
Hygge is a Danish concept that is the art of creating intimacy with your home, yourself, and friends. There are offices you walk into that you feel an instant warmth, and then there are others that leave you cold.
Adding hygge elements will help create that cozy environment you crave in today’s workplace. It will also have a huge impact on your mental health.
“Hygge is about appreciating the simple pleasures in life and can be achieved on a shoestring budget.”Meik Wiking
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this article on how to add hygge at work, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 170,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How do you pronounce Hygge?
The pronunciation of hygge is probably different from the way you think it is. “Hoo-gah” is the correct way to say it. If you want even more clarification, a YouTube video will help you. Here’s one that nails it!
What is Hygge?
Hygge is a Danish word that has gained international recognition and has been associated with the Dane’s concept of coziness and contentment. This term encapsulates the essence of Danish secrets to happiness, as reflected in the World Happiness Report.
You can find out more about hygge in my article, What is Hygge? Danish Lifestyle Decoded.
Since we spend so many waking hours working, why not make the most out of it by thoughtfully enhancing your experience there? The small things in your work life can make a big difference in your quality of life. A hygge office can help bring work-life balance.
Here’s How to Embrace Hygge at Work: Turn Your Office Into a Cozy Place
1. Create a Work Beverage Station
You drink beverages throughout the day, so why not add rich elements like loose-leaf tea, homemade hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, sun-brewed iced herbal tea, and fruit-infused water as part of your hydrating experience?
Skip the plain water and treat your taste buds with simple beverages that make them happy. Keep an electric tea kettle on your desk to make hot tea in minutes.
How about keeping grandma’s teacup and saucer on your desk, which will remind you of simpler times and warm memories?
2. Add Natural Elements
Creating coziness at work by incorporating nature indoors can profoundly impact the overall atmosphere and employee well-being. Bringing elements of nature into the workplace, such as indoor plants, natural light, and even soothing nature-inspired decor, can transform a sterile environment into a warm and inviting space.
Research has shown that exposure to nature, even indoors, can reduce stress, boost productivity, and improve mood. This harmonious blend of the indoors and nature enhances the aesthetics and fosters a sense of comfort and tranquility.
One fun thing to do is place reminders of special memories on your desk, like a stone from your lake cabin or a shell from your last trip to Hawaii.
3. Add Coziness
Temperatures in offices change with the wind. Sometimes you’re too cold, other times you’re warm. Be prepared with items such as a shawl or throw when you feel a chill or a small desktop fan when it’s too warm.
If you want to splurge, add an electric fireplace that’s both beautiful and keeps you toasty warm at the same time.
4. Holiday Celebrations
Celebrating the holidays at work to create a cozy atmosphere can foster a sense of joy among colleagues.
Here are some holiday celebration ideas:
- Bring sparkling cider and plastic champagne glasses to work to celebrate the New Year.
- Arrange a chocolate tasting event with various chocolates on Valentine’s Day.
- Hide small gold items around the office for employees to find for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Organize an Easter egg hunt with small prizes hidden in the eggs for fellow employees.
- Set up a taco bar with various toppings and fillings for Cinco de Mayo.
- Recognize and appreciate employees who served in the military on Veteran’s Day.
- Set up a “gratitude tree” where employees can write what they’re thankful for on paper leaves.
- Hold a “Deck the Desk” decorating contest at Christmas, where employees decorate their workspaces.
- Have an “Ugly Christmas Sweater” competition.
- Adding a strand of garland or lights for each holiday will make your heart happy.
5. Fun Office Supplies
Cozy office supplies, such as plush chair cushions, warm-toned desk organizers, and an ergonomic keyboard, can make your office feel like a home away from home.
There is no rule that says you have to use cheap pens to work. I used to write with any old pen that I found, but I finally decided that I was worthy of writing with smooth pens that I love.
You can also bring special notebooks or planners to help create an office space that’s more ‘you.’ For a bit of whimsy, why not buy fun file folders that will smile at you every time you reach for them?
6. Hygge Lunch Ideas
How often do we put ourselves last and grab something to eat that isn’t the best for us? Nourish your body with a delicious lunch from home.
You’re entitled to lunch after an eight-hour shift; why not make the most of it? Ensure you have an excellent lunch box with your gourmet meal that either delights you or is functional.
I love the concept of a bento box, so make sure your taste buds are delighted with various flavors that include sweet, salty, sour, and savory.
Who says you must be chained to your desk while eating lunch? Get outdoors and enjoy your break outside if you’re able to. By removing yourself from your office, you know there won’t be any interruptions.
Listening to podcasts during lunch is a great way to motivate you to accomplish your big goals. You could bring knitting or a novel to work and enjoy your break with something pleasurable.
7. Cozy Lighting
Transforming your work office into a cozy haven can significantly enhance your productivity. One effective way to achieve this is by incorporating various lighting ideas.
Consider adding warm, soft lighting fixtures such as desk lamps with warm-toned bulbs or string lights that gently illuminate the space. Adjustable lighting options can help you create the perfect ambiance, allowing you to switch between bright task lighting and a softer, mood-enhancing glow as needed.
A Himalayan salt lamp, antique lamp, or a flickering battery-operated candle can add to the cozy vibe you’re looking for. You could also add a beautiful floor lamp to provide additional lighting.
These lighting techniques make your office more inviting and create a comfortable and tranquil work environment. Special lights bring the comforts of home into your own space at work.
8. Seasonal Celebrations
Every season comes bearing gifts. Ensure you celebrate those offerings by bringing some of the bounties to your workplace.
Decorating your office for spring and incorporating spring-inspired food into your lunches can breathe life into your workspace. Here are some creative ideas:
- Place fresh flower arrangements or potted spring blooms on your desk or windowsill to bring the essence of spring indoors. Tulips or daffodils in a vase would add vibrant color to your work area.
- Consider floral wall art, posters, or prints that feature vibrant spring colors and patterns. You could also hang photographs of spring landscapes or cherry blossoms.
- Swap out your usual office supplies with spring-themed items like floral-printed notebooks and pastel pens.
- Use a spring-themed screen saver for your computer.
- Fresh Salad: Prepare salad with various fresh spring greens like arugula, spinach, and watercress. Add seasonal vegetables like asparagus, peas, and radishes. Top with a light vinaigrette dressing.
- Fruit-Infused Water: Stay hydrated with fruit-infused water featuring slices of citrus fruits, strawberries, or cucumber for a refreshing springtime twist.
- Sandwiches and Wraps: Opt for sandwiches and wraps filled with grilled chicken, avocado, and fresh herbs like basil or mint. These ingredients offer a burst of flavor and freshness.
- Spring Quiches: Bake mini quiches with spring vegetables like leeks, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Serve them warm or cold for a delicious lunch option.
- Berry Parfaits: Create yogurt parfaits with layers of Greek yogurt, granola, and a medley of seasonal berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Herbal Teas: Sip on herbal teas like chamomile, lavender, or mint, which not only complement your spring-themed lunches but also provide relaxation and refreshment.
These summer-themed decor ideas and refreshing lunch options will help you embrace the sunny season and make your work office a cool and inviting space during the summer months.
- Beachy Vibes: Bring the beach to your office with coastal-themed decor. Use seashells, driftwood, and photos of you at the beach for a relaxed, seaside ambiance.
- Nautical Colors: Embrace a nautical color scheme with navy blue and white. Hang framed nautical charts or maritime artwork to add a touch of summer adventure.
- Tropical Plants: Incorporate tropical plants like palm trees, rubber plants, or snake plants to create a lush, summery atmosphere. Use colorful plant pots to add a pop of vibrancy.
- Sun Catchers: Hang sun catchers with colored glass or translucent beads by the window to catch the sunlight and create mesmerizing rainbows in your office.
- Rose Bowl: Roses floating in a clear bowl would be beautiful and soothing.
- Mango Salsa Wraps: Prepare wraps with grilled chicken or steak, topped with a homemade mango salsa. The sweet and tangy mango flavor will give your lunch a tropical twist.
- Caprese Skewers: Make skewers with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and mini mozzarella balls drizzled with balsamic glaze is a great idea for a refreshing summer snack.
- Cold Soups: Enjoy a chilled cantaloupe gazpacho soup loaded with fresh cantaloupe, cherry tomatoes, orange pepper, and sweet onion. Creamy chilled watermelon soup is also the perfect recipe to cool you down on a hot summer day.
- Watermelon Salad: Create a salad with juicy watermelon chunks, feta cheese, mint leaves, Kalamata olives, and a light vinaigrette dressing. It’s a delightful blend of sweet and savory flavors. You’ll find a recipe for this salad here.
- Iced Coffee or Tea: Swap your usual hot beverages for iced coffee or a cup of tea infused with fruity flavors like raspberry, peach, or lemon for a refreshing drink.
- Frozen Yogurt: Top your frozen yogurt with summer berries, granola, and a drizzle of honey for a delightful and cooling dessert.
- Coconut Water: Stay hydrated with coconut water, which not only quenches your thirst but also brings a tropical vibe to your lunchtime.
These fall-themed decor ideas and delicious autumn-inspired lunches will help create a warm and inviting atmosphere in your office.
- Autumnal Colors: Embrace the rich, warm hues of fall using deep reds, oranges, and browns in your decor.
- Fall Foliage: Decorate your office with faux or real autumn leaves, pinecones, and decorative gourds. Create a charming display using a vase filled with branches of colorful leaves.
- Warm Textiles: Introduce cozy blankets, plaid cushions, or a plush rug to create a comfortable and inviting environment for the colder months.
- Seasonal Artwork: Hang artwork or prints featuring fall landscapes, pumpkins, or harvest scenes to celebrate the season’s beauty.
- Butternut Squash Soup: Enjoy a warm bowl of butternut squash soup with a sprinkle of nutmeg and topped with croutons for a comforting fall lunch.
- Apple and Cheddar Sandwich: Make a sandwich with crisp sliced apples, sharp cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of honey on whole-wheat bread for a sweet and savory combination.
- Pumpkin Hummus: Prepare pumpkin-flavored hummus dip served with pita bread or vegetable sticks for a unique and seasonal snack.
- Caramelized Onion Tart: Bake a savory tart with caramelized onions, bacon, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. It’s a delightful and hearty option for a fall lunch.
- Autumn Salad: Create a salad with roasted root vegetables like sweet potatoes, beets, and carrots, mixed greens, goat cheese, and a maple vinaigrette dressing.
- Sliced Apples and Caramel Dip: Dipping fresh apple slices in caramel dip would make the perfect snack on a fall day.
- Pecan Pie Bars: If you’re craving a rustic dessert to make your sweet tooth happy, pecan pie bars are the perfect choice.
- Baked Sweet Potato: A sweet potato topped with butter and brown sugar and served with a side salad makes the perfect autumn lunch.
Creating a cozy winter atmosphere in your office can make your workspace more inviting during the colder months. Here are some ideas for adding winter decor and food to your office:
- Seasonal Wreath: Hang a wreath on your office door or wall. Opt for a wreath with winter elements like pinecones, berries, and evergreen branches.
- Paper Snowflakes: Hang paper snowflakes from the ceiling to create your own winter wonderland.
- Faux Fur Throws and Pillows: Add warmth and comfort to your seating area with faux fur throws and pillows in wintery colors like deep blue, silver, or white.
- Winter Fragrances: Use an essential oil diffuser with scents like pine, cedar, peppermint, orange, or vanilla.
- Cozy Rug: Place a soft, plush rug under your desk or in a sitting area to keep your feet warm and add a touch of coziness.
- Winter-Themed Wall Art: Decorate your walls with winter-themed artwork, such as snowy landscapes, cozy cabins, or winter sports scenes.
- Desk Decor: Add winter-themed desk accessories, like snow globe paperweights or a desk calendar featuring winter scenes.
- Paperwhites or Christmas Cactus: Forced paperwhites in a pot or a hanging Christmas cactus will transform your office into a cozy spot.
- Hearty Stews and Soups: Enjoy comforting soups like chicken noodle, potato leek, or beef stew. Bring them in a thermos to keep them warm.
- Hot Sandwiches: Make hot sandwiches with roast beef and melted Swiss cheese or a classic grilled cheese with tomato soup for dipping.
- Winter Salads: Create salads with winter ingredients like roasted beets, goat cheese, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts. Pair them with a warm vinaigrette.
- Baked Potatoes: Top baked potatoes with winter toppings like sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives.
- Pasta Dishes: Prepare pasta dishes with creamy sauces, such as fettuccine Alfredo or macaroni and cheese. Add seasonal vegetables like broccoli or spinach.
- Casseroles: Make casseroles with winter flavors like chicken pot pie, shepherd’s pie, or cheesy broccoli and rice casserole. They are the perfect comfort food.
- Hot Beverages: Enjoy warm drinks like hot chocolate with marshmallows or hot cranberry tea. Cozy drinks bring a general feeling of wellbeing.
9. Cozy Accents
Adding simple elements to your office that make you happy is a perfect way to soften a hard space.
- Bud vase with a single flower
- Family photos
- Wall calendar with pictures you love
- Slippers to keep your feet snug
- Nice paperweight
- Enchanting screen saver
- Beautiful music playing softly
- A picture of yourself when you were happy
- Facial spritz
- Fairy lights strung up
- Good chocolate bars
- Jar of sweets
- Baskets to hold your supplies
- Little shelves to hold trinkets
- Hang a small quilt
- Poster of where you want to travel
- Photos of your garden
- List of what you’re grateful for
- Inspirational sayings
- Your favorite hand lotion
10. Add a Water Feature
There’s something about water that makes us happy. Add a water feature to your desk, like a small fish tank or a tabletop fountain, to bring flow to your space.
11. Cozy Office Ideas – Potluck Gatherings
Having potlucks at your workplace is a beautiful way to infuse a sense of coziness and camaraderie into the office environment. These gatherings unite colleagues, fostering a warm and welcoming atmosphere as everyone contributes their favorite dishes.
Sharing homemade meals creates a sense of connection and unity among coworkers, breaking down barriers and promoting community. Potlucks make the workplace feel like an extended family where people come together to enjoy delicious food and each other’s company.
You could also write a nice thank you note to the cleaning crew, letting them know you appreciate their work.
We’ve reached the end of Embrace Hygge at Work: Turn Your Office Into a Cozy Place. I hope you have a few new ideas on how to bring hygge into the workplace.
To learn more about hygge, you can read The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking.
Let me know in the comments below how you like to show off your hygge at work. You can also share this post with your coworkers or best friend on social media. It’s a simple way to bring employee happiness.
Be sure you join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a How to Create a Cozy Office pin for you below for you to add to your Pinterest decor board.
Thanks for stopping by! I’m so happy you found us!
More Hygge Lifestyle Articles You’ll Love!
- Cozy Hygge Bedtime Rituals to Try Tonight – Simple ideas to transform your mornings
- Cozy Hygge Morning Rituals to Try Today – Set up your day by creating cozy evening rituals
- Hygge Ideas on Ultimate Self-Care – Simple ways to improve your personal life
- Best Hygge Books to Inspire a Cozy Life – List of cozy books to keep you inspired
- 31 Hygge Quotes to Change Your Life – Quotes that will inspire you
- Hygge Family Dinner Traditions to Start Tonight – Add good things to your evening meal
- How to Make a Backyard Hygge Garden – Creating a cozy garden is an easy way to create a tranquil home
- How to Add Hygge Elements to Your Cleaning Routine – Adding hygge to your cleaning is the best way to transform a chore into a better experience
- 31 Hygge Hobbies to Try Today
- How to Create a Hygge Living Room – Ways to transform living rooms into comfortable spaces