Short Inspirational Quotes to Memorize will help give you the tools to transform your situation with ideas to propel you to greater heights. Memorizing small, simple quotes that you can use think about whenever you encounter an obstacle is a way to get through even the most challenging periods.
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
Zig Ziglar knew a thing or two about motivation and how to break through barriers. Everyone thinks they can go through a course or watch a seminar and their life will transform automatically.
The key is to recommit to your action plan daily. That’s why I put together this list of quotes so that you can memorize your favorites and use them to get through any situation.
Here are the Short Inspirational Quotes to Memorize:
1) “The past does not equal the future.” – Tony Robbins
Let’s start with a good one. When you’re trying to change a habit – and let me tell you I know how hard it is – this quote is one to keep in mind. Just because you’ve promised yourself again and again that you will commit to something and you fell short, it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen this time.
Your past is your past. Let it go. Move on to your amazing future. Today. Not tomorrow.
2) “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
This isn’t advice from someone that had an easy peasy time. If you haven’t seen the recent movie about Winston Churchill (The Darkest Hour), you should. That man had to handle more stress in one day than most of us will experience in a lifetime.
I’ve never had to make decisions about how many people will live and die, but he did. None of my decisions would be the deciding factor of if an entire country survived or not, but his impacted the world.
Keep your eyes on your goal and move forward. When you think you can’t take one more step, watch the movie about Winston again and begin anew.
3) “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
Yes, why? Don’t compare your life to others. They have not walked in your shoes, nor do they have the same wants and desires as you.
If you embrace your quirkiness, you will attract the people in your life you were meant to have. Don’t try to hammer those around you into accepting your ideals. Create a new tribe that supports you.
4) “Accept who you are. Unless you’re a serial killer.” – Ellen DeGeneres
If you need humor in your life, remember this quote. Accepting yourself and all your faults are one of the hardest things to do in life.
5) “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
I bet you’ll need this quote a time or two. I know I sure have. It’s hard to forgive and move on. Let me tell you; I feel your pain.
The way to overcome bad times is to remember that good times are coming and to change your focus on the changes you’ll be making.
Related Reading: How to Forgive and Move On
6) “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
Bad things happen to good people. You can either be upset that it happened to you, or you can take the gifts of that experience and let it guide you to make better decisions.
If you’ve been a victim of brutality, you now can empathize with others that have gone through the same thing.
Did you make poor choices in the past? Make good ones now.
7) “I do believe that if you haven’t learnt about sadness, you cannot appreciate happiness.” – Nana Mouskouri
This is one of the gifts of going through a trying experience. When good does happen, you’ll appreciate it a whole lot more.
8) “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
Perseverance. Imagine how hard it was to build a kingdom around a mouse, back before the model was proven? The only thing that got Walt Disney through all the hurdles is to believe in his dreams 100%.
You can do it. You know you can.
9) “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” – Napoleon Hill
I know myself pretty well. That’s why when I decided to create a blog, I decided to hire a company to design the blog for me. I knew once I signed the contract, there was no backing out. Soon, my blog would be live.
It seems so silly now that I had reservations about creating a blog. I was an information gatherer, and it took years to do what I could have easily done in a few days.
I didn’t want to make mistakes, so I waited. And waited. Guess what? Even though I waited until I thought “I knew” what I was doing, I really didn’t know anything.
That’s because you don’t know what you don’t know until you’re in the thick of it. Most of the theories that worked for other people didn’t work for me. Some of the things I thought for sure would be a failure turned out to be the best thing I could have done.
Experience teaches you. Start that project and learn by trial and error. Begin today. Not tomorrow.
10) “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
I love, love, love this quote. Did I mention the word love? This is a biggy.
Why do you ask? Because we are programmed for safety. Stretching ourselves outside the norm goes against biological conditioning.
So to combat that conditioning, pick something that you normally wouldn’t do every single day. Try it. Your life will change.
11) “Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall.” – Ray Bradbury
This quote is one of my favorites. Sitting at the edge of the nest looking down is what scares me. Bite the bullet and leap.
12) “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
It’s funny that when life throws at you what you don’t want, how it’s then you realize what you do want.
Don’t focus on the darkness. Let the stars guide your destiny.
13) “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.” – Dolly Parton
Your path in life isn’t in cement. It’s flexible.
If you don’t like where you live, move. Does your job stress you out? Change careers.
One change can be the catalyst for a whole new life that you’ll enjoy a lot better.
14) “If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves.” – Thomas Edison
Yes. This. Imagine if we became the absolute best version of ourselves. Who would you become? How much different would your circumstances be?
15) “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C. S. Lewis
I don’t want you to think that because you’re older, that it’s too late. On the contrary, you now have the wisdom to move you forward faster than others that still have life lessons to learn that you’ve already been through.
16) “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning” – Meister Eckhart
When you start on a difficult path, you’re no longer in your comfort zone, and that’s a good thing.
I’ve worked with so many people at the beginning of their careers that thought they knew everything. So instead of being a sponge of someone older and wiser, they thought they were successful on their own.
Then that older and wiser person left the company, and the walls started collapsing around them. They finally realized the success they were enjoying was not their own. Instead, they were coasting on the wisdom of others.
Be open to learning from others who are better than you. Receive criticism well and look at your work with fresh eyes. These ideas will let you hit your goals faster and prevent more failures.
17) “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas A Edison
When you start blogging, I listened to the stories of how easy it was to make money from it. I mean, how hard can it be? Write a blog post, hit “publish” and there you go. Money rolls in.
If you want 50 people to read your blog per month, then this is a great strategy. But…if you want to make a living at it, it’s much harder.
There are a lot of blogs now. It might have been much easier back in the day, but to make a living at it now takes a lot of effort.
Don’t go into things thinking it’s going to be easy because it appears that way on the surface. Go forward with the thought you’re going to have to learn a lot and try different things to find your path.
And that’s okay. What you end up learning is invaluable.
18) “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
What does it mean to you to really live? Turn off the television and take the first step. Your destiny is waiting for you. Will you be one of the few that live it?
19) “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
George Bernard Shaw
Stop searching and start creating. We are creative beings. Use your power to construct a life that you’ll love to be in every single day.
The easiest way to start is to try different things on for size and to see how you like it. Want to write a novel? Start with page one. How about opening a restaurant? Get a job as a server of your favorite restaurant and see how an amazing restaurant operates.
20) “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Plant seeds. Lots and lots of seeds. I’ve worked in sales my entire life, and I knew that if I wasn’t planting seeds daily, there would be no harvest.
Farmers don’t have the luxury of being lazy, and that’s why I love them so much. I come from a family of farmers and they are the kindest, most hard-working people you ever want to meet. They know the secret to life. Amend your soil. Plant seeds. Nourish and water them. Only then will you have the rewards.
Too many people don’t want to do the hard work. Volunteer a day to help a farmer out. You’ll see what I’m talking about.
21) “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – Marianne Williamson
I know this is true. When you are no longer fearful of becoming the person you were meant to be, others will be inspired to do the same.
Your ability to transform yourself, not only affects your life – but also everyone you encounter.
25) “When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” – John Lennon
Do what makes you happy. Find out what those things are and make room for them in your life.
26) “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou
The desire to become who we were meant never goes away, no matter how deep you try to bury the desire.
Just like a submerged beach ball, it will want to shoot to the surface of the water. You can either spend your energy keeping your desires buried, or you can use your energy to release them into the universe and go for them. It’s your choice.
27) “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”- Paulo Coelho
There will be movement in your life when you become crystal clear in your goals. Plot your course and accept no alternative.
28) “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” – Dalai Lama
The world’s problems overwhelm us. Why fight it when we are just one person? This quote puts everything in perspective.
29) “Learning never exhausts the mind.” – Leonardo da Vinci
Develop a lifelong love of learning, and your life will never be the same. Look at obstacles as puzzles that need to be solved, not frustrations.
Find new things to be obsessed with and learn as much as you can about them.
30) “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” – L.M. Montgomery
This quote is perfection, tied up with a sweet bow. Tomorrow starts, and you can begin again with a fresh slate.
31) “There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.” – Aldous Huxley
Isn’t it funny how much time and energy we waste trying to change other people? Yet if we used that energy in making the changes we would like to see, our lives would be infinitely better.
I think we have a natural desire to help others. Assisting others is great, unless we neglect ourselves in the process.
Be the example of the person you would like to see in others.
32) “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
I believe this quote with all my heart. I’ve met dishonest people in my life, and the one thing they all had in common was they hated being alone.
I think it’s because your subconscious knows how wrong it is not to be honest, and when you’re alone with your thoughts, it can be an uncomfortable place to be.
33) “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” – Maya Angelou
We’ve all had bad days. Sometimes bad years. Who knows if a small act of kindness that you gave someone was the inspiration that person needed to keep going?
You never know what’s going to resonate with someone at the right time. When others are going through cloudy times, ask what they need from you to help them through their journey.
34) “All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” – Pablo Picasso
Have you moved away from your creative side? Remember the joy you had coloring or making a sand castle?
Do you think the pleasure of creativity went away just because you got older?
Return to a favorite hobby that made your soul sing and weaves you into the fabric of happiness once again.
35) “Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.” – Helen Keller
Does it get any better than this quote? Have faith and hold on.
36) “Faith means living with uncertainty – feeling your way through life, letting your heart guide you like a lantern in the dark.” – Dan Millman
You don’t know all the steps to get from A to Z, but have faith that the path will appear once you start your journey.
Listen to your heart. It knows the way.
37) “Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
Look for the magic in life. Create a little bit of magic yourself.
Something as simple as creating an enchanting garden will bring a little fairy dust to both your life and to all those that view it.
Add magical moments to your to-do list, and pretty soon you’ll leave a trail of sparkles wherever you go.
38) “Ask yourself if what you’re doing today will get you closer to where you want to be tomorrow.” – Anonymous
Do a daily review of your life and see if you’re on the right path. Did you do everything in your power to plant seeds today? How can you do better?
These are questions that will condition you to examine yourself and your progress. Instead of analyzing everyone else and what they did, put the focus on yourself and use it as an incentive to change.
39) “If you don’t build your dreams, someone will hire you to build theirs.” – Tony Gaskin
Now is the time to decide if you want to work for someone else, or are you going to make the changes to be your own boss?
I chose to be my own boss, no matter what the cost. Spending my day doing what I love is super important to me, and this quote gets me through the tough times.
40) “You can be the ripest; juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be someone that hates peaches.” – Dita Von Teese
Not everyone likes you, and that’s okay. Your job is not to be the most popular person in the world, it’s to be yourself.
This quote will help heal the hurt that others sometimes inflict on us.
I have the best meatloaf recipe ever. It really is that good. You can find it here. One person found my recipe and decided to write on all my social media channels how they thought brown sugar should not be in meatloaf, only cookies. She never tried the recipe.
Why did this lady have such an aversion to brown sugar in meatloaf? Who has that kind of time to write their opinion on someone else’s social media channels? These are questions that I don’t need to be answered. It has no bearing on my life. The one thing I know about that recipe is it’s the bomb. One person that doesn’t like sugar in meatloaf isn’t going to change the thousands of others that loved it.
Who are the brown sugar haters that you’ve encountered in your life? Let it go.
41) “Though nobody can go back and make a new beginning… Anyone can start over and make a new ending.” – Chico Xavier
Don’t mourn the past. Your life isn’t over yet. Make it an amazing ending.
We’ve reached the end of Short Inspirational Quotes to Memorize. I hope you enjoyed them.
Is there a particular quote that you have memorized that gets you through life? If so, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by!