100+ Hygge Journal Writing Prompts will help you start creating that cozy life you crave by digging deeper into your desires and helping you improve your writing skills.
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.”William Wordsworth
Life can be stressful! It’s up to us to change that by creating a cozy lifestyle that reflects the vision of our dreams.
Writing down our thoughts and plans is the best way to navigate the direction we wish to follow and understand ourselves on a deeper level.
This list of questions is a great way to help you develop a clearer picture of who you are and where you want to go.
“I don’t journal to ‘be productive.’ I don’t do it to find great ideas or to put down prose I can later publish. The pages aren’t intended for anyone but me. It’s the most cost-effective therapy I’ve ever found.” – Tim Ferriss
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this article on hygge journal prompts, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group Creating a Cozy Life with over 72,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Why You Should Start a Hygge Journal:
1) A journal keeps your ideas in one place.
Your hygge journal will be a record of your thoughts and plans. You will be able to monitor the birth and progress of your goals, and it will be the roadmap of how you got there.
2) It’s a record of how far you’ve come in life.
Journals are a great source of insight when you look back at your years. They show all the obstacles you faced and how you were able to overcome the challenges.
3) A list of blessings.
We all know we should be more grateful for all the good in our lives.
Your journal entries are the perfect way to record the blessings. We can then reference those blessings and give thanks for them.
How to Use Hygge Journal Prompts:
1) If you struggle with sticking to journaling, I would suggest setting a timer and writing during that time frame. Start with ten minutes on your timer and see if you want to continue writing.
2) Carve out the same time to journal every day. The more consistent you get with journaling, the easier the hygge journal prompts will get.
“Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” – Lisa See
Here are the 100+ Hygge Journal Writing Prompts:
1) If given a time machine, what advice would you give your younger self with the knowledge you have now? What important decisions would you do something different?
2) What elements are the most important in designing your dream house?
3) When was the last time you felt in awe of something? Describe in your journal entry how it transformed you.
4) If your employer gave you a month-long paid sabbatical, what would you do, and where would you go?
5) What are your favorite restaurants or coffee houses? What is your favorite thing about the decor? Do you follow them on social media? Describe your favorite menu items.
6) If you could start your dream career, knowing you wouldn’t fail – how would that career look?
7) What’s your top destination on your bucket list? Describe what you would like to see and the things you want to experience there.
8) What simple things make you happy? How are you going to make room in your life to enjoy more of them?
9) How do you express your creativity? How do you get your creative juices flowing?
10) When have you felt “in the flow” of life? Why do you think what you were working on felt effortless to produce? What do you think prompted it?
Creative Writing Prompts for Adults
11) What do you think people appreciate about you? When describing you, write down what a good friend or family member might say.
12) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go, and why did that location call your heart?
13) What’s your favorite time in history to read about and why?
14) Think back to your favorite childhood memory. Describe how you felt and what made that memory extraordinary.
15) If you could invent something to make the world a better place, what would you design, and what would the ripple effect be of that invention?
16) What was your favorite book from your childhood? What made it so special?
17) Describe what a perfect day looks like to you.
18) If you could pick your own name, what would you name yourself? Do you think it would have had any impact on your life?
19) What book author would you most like to invite over for tea? What questions would you ask them?
Fun Writing Prompts
20) You are in charge of producing a movie. You’re given unlimited funds to hire the best screenwriter, director, actors, and actresses to bring your vision to life. What is your film about and who stars in it? Is it set in this time period or a different century?
21) Today you can do anything you want. You wake up, and it’s pouring rain. What kind of day will you have?
22) You are offered free cooking lessons with your favorite chef. Who would you pick, and what would you like to learn from them?
23) What are you grateful for in your life?
24) Name a time when someone was kind to you. How did you feel? Did it change how you viewed the world?
25) What’s the most beautiful song you’ve ever heard? When was the first time you heard it?
26) How have you simplified your life? Are there things that you can do that will make it even better?
27) What is your favorite season, and why?
28) What’s your favorite treat? Are there happy memories associated with it?
29) What does happiness mean to you?
30) What gifts would it bring to the world if you nurture one of your talents?
Inspirational Journal Writing Prompts
“As there are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen to write.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
31) What are your top three ways to unwind?
32) What good book has changed your life?
33) What would it say if you are to write a love letter to the world?
34) What movie inspired you the most? What changes did you make after viewing it?
35) What’s the one recipe that you cook the best? Why do you think that is?
36) Name some ways you can be a better friend to yourself.
37) What did an older person teach you about aging gracefully?
38) What’s one thing you can subtract from your life to make it better?
39) What’s one thing you can add to your life to make it better?
40) What”s a life lesson you learned from a child?
Gratitude Journal Writing Prompts
41) What kind of legacy would you like to leave the world?
42) Name something you can do for yourself today that might change your life?
43) What have you done so far this year that you’re the proudest of the result?
44) If you were invited to create a TED talk, what would your topic be and why?
45) What has been your favorite meal, and why?
46) If you could take the time to drive through and explore any state in the United States, what state would you pick and why?
47) What’s your favorite holiday, and what makes it so special?
48) If you were to create a signature perfume, what fragrances would you blend?
49) What memory would you want to relive and why?
50) How do you add coziness to your home?
Creative Journal Writing Prompts
51) What’s one lesson you’ve learned this year?
52) If you received a complimentary week at a cabin in the woods or a cottage on the beach, which would you pick, and how would you spend that week?
53) What one dream would you like to come true, and what can you do today to make it happen?
54) What do you miss most about being a child?
55) What’s your favorite feature of your house?
56) Describe how you felt the last time you looked at the moon.
57) What one sentimental thing is your favorite, and what memories are associated with it?
58) What event in history would you like to be a witness?
59) If you could have a parade celebrating anything you want, what would the parade’s theme be, and what types of floats would you create?
Daily Journal Writing Prompts
60) What mystery of the world would you like to know the answers?
“Writing in a journal each day allows you to direct your focus to what you accomplished, what you’re grateful for, and what you’re committed to do better with tomorrow. Thus, you more deeply enjoy your journey each day.” – Hal Elrod
61) What’s the most memorable outfit you wore? Describe it. You can even make a drawing of it in your hygge journal.
62) Name your favorite type of flower for your garden. Why do you think it’s so special?
63) What singer or band (alive or dead) would you like to see in concert? What song would you like dedicated to you?
64) What does your dream home look like? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
65) Write a letter to your future self one year today. What have you accomplished in that year?
66) You receive a shed for your backyard that you’re able to turn into your own private retreat. How would you use your new space?
67) It’s time to write your memoir. What famous person plays you in the movie, and why did you pick them?
68) What does a peaceful life mean to you?
69) How can you add more happiness to your days? What would have to change?
70) You’re in charge of designing the perfect seven-course meal. What would each course be?
Simple Journal Prompts
71) Name your favorite self-help guru, and describe why they benefitted your life.
72) How have you stood up for yourself lately?
73) At the end of your life, how would you like to be remembered?
74) What person has loved you the most in your time on earth? How did they show it?
75) How is the world a better place because of you?
76) What person would you like to reconnect with soon? Why haven’t you?
77) How do you include gratefulness in your days?
78) What do you know for sure?
79) What are two things most people don’t know about you?
Inspirational Journal Prompts
80) What inspires you?
81) What bad habit are you going to give up today? How will not doing it change your life?
82) How have you become more environmentally friendly? What else can you do that can help the planet?
83) You’re about to teach a class on creating a life you love. What thoughts do you share with your students?
84) Tomorrow starts a new chapter of your life in your hygge journal. How does it begin?
85) Imagine the best version of yourself. Describe her.
86) What rules have you broken that have been worth it?
87) How can you have a more profound experience on earth?
88) What event that almost broke you, turned out to be a blessing in disguise?
89) What makes you shine?
Thoughtful Journal Writing Prompts
90) How do you pamper yourself? What are some other things you can do to give yourself more love?
91) Is your best friend you? Do you always have your back? If not, why?
92) How does being out in nature make you feel?
93) Put together your 10 Rules of Life.
94) What do you need to improve your life positively?
95) What has been your most significant risk so far, and how did that affect the outcome of your life?
96) What dream still whispers in your ear that you have thus far ignored?
97) If you were going to die tomorrow, how would you spend your last day? Who would you spend time with? What is your favorite food, and where would you have your last meal?
98) Name 50 things you’re grateful to have in your life.
99) You get to erase a mistake you made. What was that mistake? Revise the outcome.
100) What would your life look like if you didn’t care what others thought?
101) Write a letter to yourself in your hygge journal. Write down the best things you like about yourself. How would your favorite person in the world describe you?
102) What does the word “soulful” mean to you?
103) If you were in charge of inventing a new holiday, what would it be and why?
104) What’s your favorite tv show? What is it about the show draws you to the episodes?
105) Who gave you the best advice? What was it, and how did it change your life?
105) What’s your favorite quote and why?
106) If you were to write a novel, describe the main character and their personality traits.
107) Write about your first day of school. Who was your favorite teacher, and why? What do you miss about your school days?
108) What is a recent conflict you went through? How would you handle it differently?
“Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jen Williamson
Here are some Hygge Journal Writing Prompts words to use:
You can pick a random word from this list, use it as a story starter and write about what it means to you.
Hygge Words A-C
aroma, autumn, bedtime, blanket, bliss, bouquet, bubbles, bubbly, bunny, butterscotch, calm, cake, candle, caramel, cardigan, cherish, cherished, chocolate, cocoa, comfortable, comfy, contented, cottage, cozy, cream, crescendo, cuddly
Hygge Words D-F
darling, divine, earth, earthy, enchanted, fall, family, fire, firelight, fireplace, fluffy, forest, fuzzy
Hygge Words G-J
gentle, glow, golden, gooey, grace, grateful, greenery, happy, haven, hearth, heaven, heavenly, holy, home, homemade, jam, jammies, jelly, joy
Hygge Words K-M
kisses, lanterns, lightly, love, loved, lovely, lovingly, lush, magical, mellow, mist, mittens, mood, moon, moonlight
Hygge Words N-P
nature, nest, nesting, nostalgic, nurture, oatmeal, openness, pajamas, pancake, patina, peaceful, pie, plants, poetic, pottery, puffy, pumpkin
Hygge Words Q-S
quiet, rain, raindrops, refreshing, restful, sacred, sanctuary, scrumptious, seaside, serendipity, serene, simply, sleep, slippers, smooch, smooth, snacks, snow, snowfall, snowflake, snug, soft, solitude, soothed, soothing, soup, spice, spiced, spring, stars, starlight, stillness, succulents, summer, tranquil, tree, twinkle, unity
Hygge Words T-V
vibrant, vintage, violets
Hygge Words W-Z
warm, warmth, whimsical, wine, winter, woolen
We’ve reached the end of 100+ Hygge Journal Writing Prompts. I hope these ideas inspired you to create a life you have dreamed about. Try and use a new prompt every single day until you get used to journaling.
If you would like more information on journal topics, 4 Ways Bullet Journaling Increases Mindfulness on Bullet Journal Junkie will help give you some creative thinking ideas.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked the 100+ Hygge Journal Writing Prompts post and what your favorite writing ideas were.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Pin this free journal writing prompts post below on your simple living board on Pinterest to refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by!
More Hygge Articles You’ll Love!
- Cozy Hygge Bedtime Rituals to Try Tonight
- Cozy Hygge Morning Rituals to Try Today
- Hygge Quotes to Change Your Life
- Hygge Family Dinner Traditions to Start Tonight
- How to Add Hygge Elements to Your Cleaning Routine
- Hygge Ideas on Ultimate Self Care
- What is Hygge? The Danish Lifestyle Decoded
- How to Hygge: 31 of the Best Ideas