Fresh Cranberry Relish is an easy recipe made with fresh cranberries, apples, pecans, crushed pineapple, and sugar. It’s a yummy addition to your holiday meal or a condiment on sandwiches using fresh cranberries.
If you’re looking for more great recipes, Jalapeño Cranberry Sauce or Cranberry Rice with Caramelized Onions will help you on your quest. They are not only great Thanksgiving recipes, but are also perfect for everyday meals.
This raw cranberry relish has a tart flavor that compliments meats like roasted turkey, chicken, glazed ham, pork tenderloin, pork chops, and roasts. It’s the perfect recipe to add fresh flavors to your Thanksgiving dinner.
What is Fresh Cranberry Relish?
This relish recipe is made with uncooked ingredients featuring fresh cranberries and sugar. Additional ingredients like nuts, pineapple, oranges, celery, jalapeño peppers, and pears are ideas for changing this recipe.
The two cranberry dishes served with turkey are traditional cranberry sauce or this relish. I like to have both for my Thanksgiving table. They are two of my favorite things about the holiday season.
Interesting Facts About Cranberries
- The majority of cranberries grown in the United States come from Wisconsin. According to the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, in 2017, 62% of the cranberries came from Wisconsin.
- There are only three fruits native to North America, and cranberries are one of them.
- Most of the cranberries sold are for processed foods. Only 5% of the cranberries are sold fresh.
- Cranberries are a perennial crop grown in human-made bogs or wetlands.
- Wisconsin is home to the world’s largest cranberry festival. The Warrens Cranberry Festival is a three-day event celebrating Wisconsin’s state fruit.
- Cranberries are loaded with Vitamin C.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this tasty relish recipe, I’m guessing you love all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group with 113,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, things that leave you in awe, and how to make your life just a little bit more snug. You can join the virtual cozy cottage here.
Here is the recipe for the Best Cranberry Relish:
Ingredients for Relish
12-ounce bag of cranberries, fresh or frozen (thaw before using if they are frozen)
1/2 red apple, cored, unpeeled and roughly chopped
1/3 cup pecans
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup sugar
Directions for Making Relish
- Add tart cranberries, apple, pecans, crushed pineapple, and white sugar in a food processor. Blend until well mixed together.
Tips for Making this Relish Recipe
- You can substitute walnuts for pecans.
- Adjust the sugar to your taste. If you prefer less tart flavors, add more sugar.
- You can add orange peel or orange zest for some citrus flavor.
- Fresh ginger is also a great addition to try for a different flavor.
- You can also use an old fashioned grinder to process the recipe.
- Pick out the good cranberries before processing.
- To make orange cranberry relish, add a little orange juice and orange peel for a more citrus flavor. Top with orange slices for garnish.
- Put this side dish in a beautiful serving dish on your holiday table.
- You can also top baked brie with cranberry relish for a delicious appetizer.
How long does flavorful cranberry relish last in the refrigerator?
This simple cranberry relish recipe will last up to ten days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Can you freeze this relish recipe?
I don’t recommend freezing cranberry relish because the apple will turn to mush. It will be watery when thawed.
What’s the difference between cranberry sauce and cranberry relish?
Cranberry sauce is cooked down, and cranberry relish is made with raw ingredients.
Should the relish be served hot or cold?
The relish should be served cold.
What do you serve with this cranberry recipe?
You can serve this easy relish recipe during your holiday feast with favorite meats like roasted turkey, chicken, pork tenderloin, roast beef, and ham.
Leftover cranberry relish can be used as a topping for ice cream or yogurt. You can also pour it over a block of cream cheese and serve it with crackers.
Mix the relish with mayonnaise to use in sandwiches too. It’s also delicious on turkey sandwiches using leftover turkey with cream cheese, sliced onions, and sprouts.
Here’s how Cranberries are Grown
This great recipe is perfect for your Christmas dinner or your Thanksgiving turkey.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
I created a pin below for you to add to your condiment Pinterest board.
Now you have the perfect recipe to serve with your holiday meal with little effort. This simple recipe is a keeper you can pass down to future generations.
Thanks for stopping by!
More Holiday Recipes
- How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Rustic Candied Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- Salt-Encrusted Prime Rib Recipe
Delicious Cranberry Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Homemade Whipped Cranberry Butter
- Hot Cranberry Tea Recipe
- The Best Cranberry Recipes
Printable Version of Homemade Cranberry Relish with Nutritional Information
Cranberry relish with nuts is an easy recipe made with fresh cranberries, apple, crushed pineapple, and sugar. It's a flavorful condiment to add to your holiday meal.
- 12-ounce bag of frozen or fresh cranberries (thaw cranberries if using frozen)
- 1/2 unpeeled apple, chopped and cored
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend until well mixed together.
1. You can substitute walnuts for pecans.
2. Adjust sugar to your taste.
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 2gSugar 30gProtein 1g