How can you make summer tomatoes even better? Make a Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about this savory treat, but this recipe won over the minute I tasted the first batch. It’s the perfect recipe to preserve the harvest of tomato season.
This simple recipe is sure to be a pantry staple. You can also make this wonderful jam in the winter with canned diced tomatoes. If you’re looking for other refrigerator condiment recipes, check out my Quick Refrigerator Pickled Red Onions recipe or my Refrigerator Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles.
If this this is your first time making refrigerator jam, the most important ingredient in this recipe is using good tomatoes. You want to make sure you get sweet ones and that they are ripe.
Making refrigerator jam at home is a great way to share gifts of the summer season with friends and family. Make a couple extra jars of homemade jams to give away to enjoy!
What is Tomato Jam?
It’s a combination of Roma tomatoes (other tomatoes work as well), sugar, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, grated ginger, cumin, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, and jalapeño.
History of Tomato Jam
According to Wikipedia, this savory jam has been around since 1840. It was published in the American Farmer describing the method. It was first called “tomato jam” in the Boston Cultivator in 1843.
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you found this sweet tomato jam recipe, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 75,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How to Make the Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe
Ingredients for Old-Fashioned Tomato Jam
1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 minced jalapeno, seeded
How to Make this Delicious Jam
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan or a Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a full boil over medium heat, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to simmer, occasionally stirring until the texture becomes consistent with jam (approximately 1 hour 15 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Let the hot jam cool. When the mixture is room temperature, ladle jam in an airtight container in the fridge like a Mason jar. The finished jam will last a week in the refrigerator.
Printable Version for Easy Recipe for Tomato Jam with Nutritional Information
How do you keep bounty of summer tomatoes going? By making Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe. You'll be in love at first bite.
- 1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced jalapeno, seeded
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until the texture becomes consistent with jam (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cool and store in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Amount Per Serving Calories 34Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 135mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 0g
Tips for Making This Sweet Jam
- You can substitute other fresh tomatoes for Roma tomatoes in this recipe like cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and plum tomatoes.
- Other peppers can be substituted for the jalapeño, or you can add red pepper flakes for desired heat.
- Make sure you keep watch on this jam cooking and stir often. You don’t want to burn the sugar.
- Substitute diced canned tomatoes in the winter.
- You can substitute allspice for cloves.
- Some people prefer peeled tomatoes. If that is your taste, just peel the tomatoes in a hot water bath before cooking.
- Jarred pickled jalapeños can be substituted for a fresh jalapeño.
- Be sure to use fresh ginger; powdered ginger will affect the taste.
- You can substitute lemon juice for lime juice.
- Some people like to use green tomatoes to make tomato jam. You’ll probably need to add more sugar and salt if you do.
- Adding cooked bacon to the jam is also a fun option.
How long will Refrigerator Tomato Jam last in the in the fridge?
The refrigerator tomato jam recipe will last approximately one week in the refrigerator when stored properly in an airtight container.
Can you freeze Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe?
Yes, this tasty tomato jam recipe can be stored for long term storage in your freezer. It’s the perfect way to get a taste of summer in the winter months. You can keep this recipe in the freezer for up to six months when appropriately stored.
Delicious Ways to Use Tomato Jam
- Tomato jam is the perfect accompaniment to your charcuterie board.
- My favorite way to serve this jam is to grill French bread, slather on a little goat cheese, and top with this wonderful recipe.
- Put this easy tomato jam on your grilled cheese sandwich.
- Hamburgers, turkey burgers, and hot dogs taste amazing with this savory jam.
- Take a block of cream cheese and top with jam and pesto and serve with crackers.
- Serve the jam with your favorite style of eggs or in breakfast burritos.
- This tasty jam goes well on top of most meats.
- Topping your favorite grilled fish with this homemade jam would make a tasty combination.
- You can top your avocado toast with tomato jam. I like to sprinkle a small amount of red pepper flakes on top for a spicy touch.
We’ve reached the end of this Savory Tomato Jam Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried this simple recipe and what great options you paired it with. I would also love to know what your favorite fruit jams are throughout the year.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin this sweet spread on your condiment board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to this easy recipe again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
Here are some more amazing recipes featuring tomatoes:
- Creamy Tomato Soup (Famous Restaurant Recipe)
- How to Make Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Rustic Bread Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Beefy Cabbage Soup
- How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Recipe for Salsa Fresca