How can you make summer tomatoes even better? Make a Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about this savory treat, but this recipe won over the minute I tasted the first batch. I absolutely love this jam!
This jam is sure to be a pantry staple. You can also make this recipe in the winter with canned diced tomatoes. If you’re looking for other refrigerator condiment recipes, check out my Quick Refrigerator Pickled Red Onions recipe or my Refrigerator Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles.
The original recipe I found in New York Times cooking. It had one cup of sugar instead of 1/2 cup sugar. I thought it was way too sweet with that much sugar. You can experiment with the recipe after you try the first small batch. I also added more lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Let me know if you try different tinkers to the ingredients.
What is Tomato Jam?
It is a combination of Roma tomatoes (other tomatoes work as well), sugar, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, grated ginger, cumin, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt, and jalapeño.
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you clicked on this Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe post, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 53,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How to Make the Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe
Ingredients for Tomato Jam
1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 minced jalapeno, seeded
How to Make the Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan or a Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to simmer, occasionally stirring until the texture becomes consistent with jam (approximately 1 hour 15 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge freeze. In the refrigerator it will last a week.
Printable Version for Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced jalapeno, seeded
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until the texture becomes consistent with jam (approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cool and store in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Amount Per Serving Calories 34Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 135mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 0g
Tips for Making Homemade Tomato Jam
- You can substitute other tomatoes for Roma tomatoes in this recipe.
- Other peppers can be substituted for the jalapeño, or you can add red pepper flakes for desired heat.
- Make sure you keep watch on this jam cooking and stir often. You don’t want to burn the sugar.
- Substitute diced canned tomatoes in the winter.
- You can substitute allspice for cloves.
- Some people prefer peeled tomatoes. If that is your taste, just peel the tomatoes in a hot water bath before cooking.
- Jarred pickled jalapeños can be substituted for a fresh jalapeño.
- Be sure to use fresh ginger; powdered ginger will affect the taste.
How long will Refrigerator Tomato Jam last in the in the fridge?
The refrigerator tomato jam recipe will last approximately one week in the refrigerator when stored properly in an airtight container.
Can you freeze Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe?
Yes, this tasty tomato jam recipe can be frozen for a taste of summer in the winter months. You can keep this recipe in the freezer for up to six months when appropriately stored.
Uses for Tomato Jam
- Add tomato jam to your charcuterie board.
- Grill French bread, slather on goat cheese and top with tomato jam.
- Put tomato jam on your grilled cheese sandwich.
- Hamburgers taste amazing with this savory jam.
- Take a block of cream cheese and top with tomato jam and pesto and serve with crackers.
- Serve the jam with your favorite style of eggs or in breakfast burritos.
- Tomato jam goes well on top of most meats.
- Topping your favorite grilled fish with tomato jam would make a tasty combination.
We’ve reached the end of Refrigerator Tomato Jam Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried the recipe and what you paired it with.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin this refrigerator tomato jam recipe on your condiment board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
Here are some more amazing recipes featuring tomatoes:
- Creamy Tomato Soup (Famous Restaurant Recipe)
- How to Make Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Rustic Bread Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Beefy Cabbage Soup
- How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup