Summer Herb Butter Recipe is a very simple compound butter recipe that adds an amazing taste to rolls, potatoes, sandwiches, or any other way you use butter.
The more I use herbs, the more obsessed I am with them. Since I have a huge herb garden, there’s always plenty of herbs for recipes. I use herbs in my teas, salads, breads, rolls and to even to add flavor to my eggs.
Compound butters are so simple to make and are an easy way to capture the fresh flavor of summer. This recipe will not only add flavor to your meals, but make extra logs for your friends and family.
I found this recipe in a Goose Berry Patch cookbook. If you’ve never seen a Goose Berry Patch cookbook, you’re in for a real treat. They are full of recipes, cooking tips and illustrations that are fun to look through. You can find a Goose Berry Cookbook here on Amazon.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you found this recipe on making compound butter, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 69,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
What is Compound Butter?
Compound butter is a fancy schmancy name for butter that’s been mixed with seasonings, fruits, herbs or even edible florals. You make compound butter by chopping up the flavorings and adding them to room temperature butter that you can form into a log.
How can you use Summer Herb Butter?
Herb butter is a delicious way to add flavor to your favorite vegetable and meat dishes. This basic herb butter recipe makes a delicious topping for: steak, turkey, salmon, baked potato, foil packets of meat and veggies topped with herb butter, herb butter garlic bread, dinner rolls, and fresh vegetables.
How long does Compound Butter last?
Herb butter will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Can Compound Butter with Herbs be frozen?
Summer Herb Butter can be frozen for up to two months. You can freeze the butter into small cubes and use when needed. Thaw before using.
Ingredients for making Summer Herb Butter
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup chopped different herbs, such as dill, basil, fresh thyme, sage, fresh parsley, chives, tarragon, oregano, fresh rosemary or marjoram
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Directions for making Compound Butter with Herbs
1) Blend butter, fresh herbs, sea salt and pepper together with a food processor or hand mixer.
2) Spoon the butter mixture on a piece of wax paper, a piece of plastic wrap, or parchment paper. Form the mixed butter into a log shape.
3) To seal the butter log, twist the ends of the wax paper.
4) Allow flavors to blend by refrigerating for at least one hour before using.
5) Use the flavorful butter within two weeks.
Printable Recipe Card
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, basil, thyme, sage, parsley, chives, tarragon, oregano, rosemary, or marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Blend butter, fresh herbs, sea salt and pepper together.
- Spoon mixture on a sheet of wax paper. Shape the mixture into a log.
- To seal the butter log, twist the ends of the wax paper.
- Allow flavors to blend by refrigerating for at least one hour before using.
- Use flavored butter within two weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 105Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 31mgSodium 356mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Variations on making herbed butter
1) Add fresh garlic or garlic powder for homemade garlic herb butter.
2) Lime, Orange, or Lemon zest can be added to the fresh herb butter mixture.
3) To add a little spice, sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.
4) Try different flavor combinations and add your favorite spices.
Tips on gifting herb butter recipes
1) You can pair your herbed butter with a book on flavored butters and butter molds.
2) The homemade herb butter could be put in a small mason jar with a small knife tied to the jar with a ribbon.
3) A trio of compound butters can be given with a fresh baguette.
Here are some fun things on Amazon that will help you create the perfect gift:
We’ve reached the end of the delicious Compound Butter with Herbs Recipe. Let me know in the comments below what your favorite recipes are using fresh herbs.
Don’t forget to join the Creating a Cozy Life Group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is!
Thanks for stopping by!
More Recipes You’ll Love
- 24 Traditional Amish Recipes
- Bread Recipes to Drool Over
- The Best Herbal Cold Remedy Tea
- Interesting Facts about Basil
- Homemade Basil Pesto