Creamy Blackberry Chicken Recipe is one of those dishes you’ll become known for in your inner circle. It really is that good.
The creamy blackberry thyme sauce is to-die-for. The ingredients are diced shallots, butter, blackberries, brown sugar, thyme leaves, chicken broth, Dijon mustard, and heavy cream.
Do you have problems with your mother-in-law? Invite her over and make this chicken. On the outs with your boss? That’s right…it’s time for a gathering at your home. Problems disappear.
It’s so darn good; I was even questioning putting it on my blog. But…what kind of a person would I be keeping all this deliciousness to myself?
You might want to serve this with mashed potatoes or quinoa because you’re going to want to sop up every bit of that sauce. Better make a side of dinner rolls…just in case.
I will teach you how to make perfectly seared chicken that I learned from Wolfgang Puck in this recipe. Yep, THE Wolfgang. Now, before you starting thinking I rub shoulders with famous chefs, I will have to confess my secret. I took one of Wolfgang’s classes on Masterclass. You can find that class here. For one fee, you have access to a crazy amount of courses from the very best people at what they do. I’m pretty much obsessed with it.
My sister has grown tired of me sending her perfectly seared chicken photos. It’s a small price to pay on her part to witness my new skillset, in my humble opinion.
Interesting Facts About Blackberries
There are approximately 375 different species of blackberries that are found all over the world, according to Justfunfacts.com.
Oregon produces the most blackberries in the United States, according to the Agricultural Resource Center. Around 3 million pounds are sold as fresh berries, and 37 million pounds are processed annually.
When I lived in Washington state, they were literally a weed in my garden. They grew everywhere!
Creating a Cozy Life Group:
Since you clicked on this Creamy Blackberry Chicken recipe post, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 53,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Blackberry sauce for chicken will have all your taste buds dancing. Here’s a close-up of this heavenly sauce bubbling on the stove.
Here’s how you make Creamy Blackberry Chicken
Ingredients for Chicken with Blackberry Sauce Recipe
4 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
How to make Creamy Blackberry Chicken
1) Take your chicken breasts and flatten them with a kitchen mallet. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
2) Heat a large skillet on medium-high. When it gets hot, add enough oil to coat the whole pan. Add flattened chicken breasts to the pan. Wait about 10 minutes to allow the chicken to sear on that side. Flip the chicken over and let the other side cook for another 10 minutes. Check to make sure there is no pink in the middle by cutting a slit at the top. If the chicken is cooked through, let it sit for five minutes before serving. You want the juices to stay in the breast.
3) While the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the chopped shallots and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring until softened. Stir in brown sugar and thyme.
4) Take half the blackberries and smash them in a bowl. Add to the saucepan cooking a few minutes until sugar dissolves. Add broth and Dijon mustard, stirring until mixed thoroughly. Add the heavy cream and the rest of the whole blackberries to the sauce until heated through.
5) Place chicken breasts on a plate and pour the blackberry sauce over them. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tables chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Take your chicken breasts and flatten them with something hard. I use a kitchen mallet. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high. When it gets hot, add enough oil to coat the whole pan. Add flattened chicken breasts to the pan. Wait about 10 minutes to allow the chicken to sear on that side. Flip the chicken over and let the other side cook for another 10 minutes. Check to make sure there is no pink in the middle by cutting a slit at the top. If the chicken is cooked through, let it sit for five minutes before serving. You want the juices to stay in the breast.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the chopped shallots and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring until softened. Stir in brown sugar and thyme.
- Take half the blackberries and smash in a bowl. Add to the saucepan cooking a few minutes until sugar dissolves. Add broth and Dijon mustard, stirring until mixed thoroughly. Add the heavy cream and the rest of the whole blackberries to the sauce until heated through.
- Place chicken breasts on a plate and pour sauce over them. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 428Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 151mgSodium 379mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 39g
Tips for making Blackberry Sauce Chicken
- You can substitute thyme for tarragon, basil, or sage if you don’t like the taste of thyme.
- If you would prefer a thicker blackberry chicken sauce, add more heavy cream to the sauce.
- There are thinner cuts of chicken breasts being sold now so you don’t have to flatten them. If you do use those chicken cuts, reduce cooking time for the blackberry chicken.
How long does the Creamy Blackeberry Chicken recipe last in the fridge?
When stored in an airtight container, chicken in blackberry sauce will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze the chicken and blackberry sauce recipe?
I wouldn’t freeze this dish because it contains dairy. When you thaw dairy and reheat it, the texture is gritty and will change the taste of the blackberry chicken sauce.
We’ve reached the end of Creamy Blackberry Chicken Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried the blackberry chicken recipe and what you thought.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin this blackberry chicken recipe on your dinner board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to it again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
More Great Recipes Featuring Chicken