Homemade Fajita Seasoning is easy to make and so much better than store-bought seasoning. Why go out and spend money at a Mexican restaurant when you can recreate the flavors at home?
“I wish they made fajita cologne, because that stuff smells good. What’s that you’re wearing? That’s sizzlin’!” – Mitch Hedberg
There’s something so magical about sizzling meat and veggies, topped with this seasoning it will be irresistible. Fajitas have become such a staple in people’s homes because of how easy they are to make and you’re able to appease every palate.
When you make your own spice mixtures, you not only save money – but you know what is in each batch. On top of that, this recipe is way better than store-bought fajita seasoning.
Keep this homemade fajita seasoning mix in mind for the holidays, it would make the perfect gift if you package it in cute jars.
Think of all the options you have with this magical seasoning. Flank steak, chicken, pork, portobello, and shrimp fajitas are just some of the options you might try.
Creating a Cozy Life Group
Since you’re looking to make your own homemade seasoning mixes, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 22,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Can I use fajita seasoning in place of taco seasoning?
Fajita seasoning and taco seasoning have different measurements of spices – giving your dishes a different flavor. While you can substitute taco seasoning with fajita seasoning, your tacos won’t have the same flavor.
What’s the difference between fajita seasoning and taco seasoning?
Taco seasoning has oregano, which fajita seasoning does not. It also has more chili powder.
What steak do you use for fajita seasoning?
The best choices for fajitas are skirt steak or flank steak.
Make sure you don’t overcook the steak, it makes it tough to eat.
Best vegetables to sauté for fajita seasoning:
Some ideas for adding flavor to your fajitas are red peppers, green peppers, onions, Vidalia onions, red onions, green onions, portabello mushrooms, quartered tomatoes, and jalapeños are just some of the things you can add to your fajitas.
What sides can you make for steak and chicken fajitas?
The choices are endless when you think about what compliments fajitas. Here are some of the possibilities: black bean soup, Mexican corn salad, refried beans, tortilla soup, Mexican rice, and cilantro lime rice.
What condiments go with fajitas?
Restaurants usually offer shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes, salsa, and shredded cheese.
Here’s how to make the Homemade Fajita Seasoning recipe:
Fajita Seasoning Mix Ingredients:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
How to Make Fajita Seasoning
1) In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, chili powder, salt, paprika, white sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and ground cumin together.
2) Store ingredients in an airtight container in a cool, dark spot like your kitchen cupboard.
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
Tips on making Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
1) If you’re on a low carb diet, you can omit the cornstarch and sugar.
2) You can also admit the salt if you are on a low sodium diet.
3) This mixture is easy to make ahead and have on hand.
4) Used smoked paprika in place of paprika for a different twist.
5) The cayenne pepper might be too hot for kids. You might want to omit if you’re making it for your entire family.
6) Some people like to add cinnamon to the seasoning. Add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon if you like the taste.
How much Homemade Fajita Seasoning to use:
There are lots of different ways to make fajitas. Here’s a couple ideas for you to try depending on your diet needs:
1) Mix spice mixture with 2-3 pounds of meat and 1/2 cup water and cook until meat is done.
2) Use your favorite fajita recipe and use the homemade fajita seasoning in place of the packaged kind.
3) Make a marinade of the spice mixture with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons soy sauce or liquid aminos, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2-4 pounds of meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
How long will your DIY fajita seasoning last?
Your fajita meat seasoning will last up to six months if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark spot.
You’ll want to keep your homemade season mixes away from the heat of the stove.
We’ve reached the end of the Best Fajita Seasoning Mix Recipe. I hope you enjoyed it.
Make sure you subscribe, so you don’t miss a post. You wouldn’t want to miss other recipes like DIY Herb Salt Recipe.
Let me know in the comments below how you liked this easy fajita seasoning mix.
Make sure you join our Creating a Cozy Life – Hygge Style Facebook group. You’re not going to believe how amazing it is. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Please pin this recipe below on your recipe board on Pinterest, so you can refer back to it again and again.
Thanks for stopping by. I’m so happy you found us!
Related Posts to Fajita Seasoning Mix: