Does it get any better than Grandma’s creamy buttermilk coleslaw recipe? As soon as the farm stand where I buy all my organic produce started selling heads of cabbages, I knew it was time to make my favorite recipe. This is a delicious creamy coleslaw that will become a family favorite because it is so darn good!
“In life, one is entitled to a side dish of either coleslaw or potato salad, and the choice must be made in terror, with the knowledge that not only is our time on earth limited but most kitchens close at ten.” – Woody Allen
We have to give a great big thanks to the Dutch that brought this delicious recipe with them when they immigrated to the United States. Did you know that coleslaw actually means “cabbage salad?”
I like to use a combination of both red and green cabbage, but feel free to stick to one head of cabbage instead of half of each. You can also replace the cabbage and carrots with a store-bought coleslaw mix if you’re short on time.
Here’s Grandma’s Famous Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw Recipe:
Grandma's Famous Creamy Buttermilk Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon organic celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Finely shred cabbage on a mandoline for the right texture. You can find one here. Mix cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, mustard, vinegar and black pepper in a separate bowl until smooth and the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour half the dressing over cabbage mixture and mix thoroughly. Keep adding dressing until it covers all the salad ingredients. Cover bowl and refrigerate coleslaw at least 2 hours (the longer the better). Mix again before serving.
The ingredients for the creamy dressing:
Doesn’t that look beautiful with all the gorgeous rich colors?
Here’s a close up of the coleslaw:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter, where you will receive more garden ideas, home decor and recipes. New subscribers will receive my MOST requested recipe: Chicken with Blackberry Cream Sauce.
If you loved this recipe, please share on social media. Thanks for stopping by.