It’s that time of year when blankets come out of the closets, thicker socks are worn and you crave stew. Rustic Gingersnap Sausage Stew is a recipe you have to try. If you like the taste of ginger, you’re in for quite the surprise.
“There is a charm in making a stew, to the unaccustomed cook, from the excitement of wondering what the result will be, and whether any flavor save that of onions will survive the competition in the mixture.” – Annie Besant
This simple, rustic stew looks beautiful and tastes amazing. I was totally surprised how great the combination of flavors worked together to create an amazing dish the whole family will love.
Since you like to cook, I’m guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 6,000 like-minded souls.
It’s a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
Here’s the Rustic Gingersnap Sausage Stew Recipe:
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons olive oil
8-12 ounces smoked sausage, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups water
1 15 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
8 gingersnap cookies, crushed
1) In a large saucepan, cook chopped carrots, celery, onion and sausage pieces in olive oil over medium heat until onion is nearly tender and sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
2) Add water, beans, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3) Stir in undrained tomatoes and crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes or until mixture thickens and bubbles.
4) Serve immediately.
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8-12 ounces smoked sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 15 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- In a large saucepan, cook chopped carrots, celery, onion and sausage pieces in olive oil on medium heat until onion is nearly tender and sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, beans, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes, or until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Serve immediately.
1) You can peel the carrots before chopping, though I prefer to leave the skin on.
2) Place gingersnap cookies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
3) Vegetarian, beef or regular turkey sausage can be used instead of smoked turkey sausage.
4) Black beans can replace kidney beans.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried this recipe and what you thought.
Below you will find a pin to add to your Pinterest board so you never lose this recipe.
Thanks for stopping by!