I love my dogs, but veterinarian costs can add up fast. Lucky for my readers, I’m in a group of homesteaders and the topic of treating Dog Hot Spots with Home Remedies came up. I have a Golden Retriever that gets hot spots one to two times a year. Finding a natural remedy has been difficult until I came across all the advice in homesteading group.
“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.” – Dean Koontz
All I can say is that I’m so happy I stumbled across the wisdom from this group because I’ve already saved some money this year using some of their remedies. Before coming across this advice, I would have to bring my dog to the veterinarian where he would have to be sedated before he would allow the vets to shave him because of painful previous experiences. Now, by simply using two simple products, Paddington’s hot spot was cured fast without the expense or pain. Click on to the pictures below for pricing and to read the reviews.
Here are the Tips on Treating Dog Hot Spots with Home Remedies:
1) Prevent Licking. The first step is to keep your dog from licking his or her hot spot. You can use a cone, but to make your baby more comfortable an inflatable tube works better and makes for a happier pup. I did not know these existed, but I’m glad I found out about them because it makes it easier for my dog to get around and sleep.
2) Treat the Wound. One of the homesteaders said to use Raw Manuka Honey to put on the sore. Lots of people agreed that using this type of honey would be the best solution, so that’s what I tried.
I’m happy to report that my baby’s wound is now healed with these two simple steps. Those weren’t the only suggestions given. Here are a few more:
3) Vetericyn Plus. After looking at the Amazon reviews, it seems that others agree to keep this product on hand to speed up the healing of any open wound.
4) Zymox. This is an ear solution that helps eliminate ear infections. My dog’s hot spot always comes after getting a slight ear infection, so I keep this on hand and use it the minute I notice any discomfort in either one of his ears.
5) Schreiner’s Herbal Solution. A few people mentioned this spray as an amazing product to have on hand for healing cuts and wounds fast.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and it saves you from a trip to the vet’s office. The best thing to do is have the products on hand, so you can treat the hot spot right away. Make sure if the wound enlarges or your dog is in discomfort, take him to the vet right away.
If you liked this article and you think it can help other dog owners, share it on social media. Please sign up for our newsletter, so you don’t miss a post. Thanks for stopping by.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter, where you will receive more garden ideas, home decor and recipes. New subscribers will receive my MOST requested recipe: Chicken with Blackberry Cream Sauce.