We all have dreams. Uphill, treacherous, slippery slope, lofty dreams. The only way to achieve your aspirations is to dissect them into bite-sized pieces. If you want to start your dream with confidence, the best way to do this is to start is by conquering a few small easily achieved goals. Success breeds success.
“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” J.P. Morgan
I was talking to my cousin about this very topic, and that’s what sparked the idea for the blog post. He has a couple big and very scary goals. His confidence has been shaken by life beating him up. I explained that he needed to start with a couple “wins.” When he asked what that meant, I told him to focus on a small goal…one that he knew he could master. As soon as he conquered that goal, pick another easy one. When your confidence begins to come back, that’s when you start those big, scary goals. You need the armor of success to help you weather the storm of accomplishing the larger goal. There will be setbacks. When those obstacles occur, remember your success with your smaller goals and just keep climbing.
31 Small Easily Achieved Goals in 2017:
1) Make a new friend. This one is pretty easy. The animal shelters are filled with a dogs or cats that are looking for a friend too. My dogs are some of my best buddies, and I don’t have to worry about a “falling out” because we’re friends for life.
2) Volunteer. Whether you help others once a month or once a week, volunteering is a way to feel good about yourself and spread kindness in the world.
3) Read More. Spend at least one hour a week reading something you’ve wanted to learn.
4) Exercise Every Day. Commit to moving your body at least 20 minutes per day. You can split it up in 5-minute increments or complete the 20 minutes at one time.
5) Drink More Water. Eight glasses of water will help energize muscles, improve the look of your skin, help with weight control, improve kidney function and helps with bowel function.
6) Get Up Earlier. Set your alarm to wake you up a half hour earlier than normal. Those moments add up to over 182 extra hours per year to accomplish your dream.
7) Show More Kindness. Try and do one thing that helps another person in the day. It could be as simple as giving a compliment or paying for the person behind you in the coffee line.
8) Forgive Others. This one is a doozy, but it benefits you. Forgiving others doesn’t mean you approve of the hurt they have caused you or someone you love, it just means you are ready to let the past go. You don’t have to forgive everyone that hurt you. You might want to start with someone that caused you pain but is easier forgiven than others. Once you have forgiven that person, see if your load is a bit lighter and then work your way through those that caused you heartache.
9) Eat More Veggies. We all know that vegetables are good for you. Try to add a little bit more on your plate every day. You could also make sure to start lunch and dinner with a salad with cut up vegetables.
10) Start a Journal. If you don’t have a journal, what holding you back? A journal will document your growth and offers a release of emotions by acknowledging your feelings.
11) Limit Your Social Media Intake. Social media is a fun way to socialize and connect with others. It can also be a huge time-suck if you’re not careful. Decide if you have more important things to do and limit the amount of time you spend online.
12) More Time in Nature. Humans were meant to spend time outside. Make sure you carve out slices of the day to get back in tune with Mother Nature.
13) Say Thank You. Look for more opportunities to say “thank you.” Everyone likes to feel appreciated.
14) Connect with Loved Ones. Pick up a phone and call someone every week that you haven’t spoke to in awhile. They will be happy that you’ve been thinking of them.
15) Smile More. The world could use more smiling people. Become one of them.
16) Avoid Gossip. Spreading negativity doesn’t do anyone any favors. Rise above it.
17) Make Amends. If you’ve wronged people in your past, try to do something to acknowledge that wrong and start making it right.
18) Sleep Better. A good night’s sleep is crucial to a productive day. Make sure you stick to a sleep schedule, start relaxing at least one hour before bedtime and create a serene environment.
19) Recycle More. The planet could always use a bit more love, so make sure you take the time to recycle more or purchase items with less packaging.
20) Meditate. Take ten minutes every morning and start meditating. Your mind and body will be glad you started this.
21) Drink Green Tea. We all know the positive impact green tea has on the body, so drink at least one cup of green tea a day for a better you.
22) Be Grateful. Every night write at least three reasons of why you are grateful that this day happened. Compile them into an ongoing list to refer to when things go a bit rough.
23) More Peace. Add more peace to your life by deciding how you can create a more peaceful environment in your workspace and home. Whether it’s soft music piping in during your work hours, or taking a candlelit bath once a week, find ways to increase peace in your life.
24) Treat Yourself. You take care of everyone else, but sometimes you forget to add yourself to that list. Find little ways to treat yourself to little things that make you happy. It could be as simple as stopping somewhere beautiful on your way home from work to decompress for a few moments or buying yourself a warm blanket to curl up on the couch with.
25) Plan Tomorrow. Make a list of what you have to do the next day before you go to sleep. By writing down your activities, it helps you sleep because you don’t toss and turning thinking about what you have to do the next day.
26) Weekly Meal Prep. Finding something to eat can take a lot of time. Plan an entire week’s meals and prep on one day, so you don’t have to scramble putting a meal together.
27) Celebrate You. A year can go by in a blink of an eye, make sure you recognize all the things you accomplish on a day-to-day basis by taking some time to celebrate your wins. Most of us tend to focus our energy on our mistakes. How would your life be different if you redirected your energy on your accomplishments?
28) Family Night. With everyone going in different directions during the week, pick one night to set aside as family night and make that evening special. Whether you create a special meal, play board games or just spend time talking, creating a family night will add richness to your life.
29) Surround Yourself with Like-Minded Souls. Find mentors that are a few steps ahead of you and soak up some of his or her energy and knowledge. Your mentor could be someone that simply has a positive outlook on life or someone that is just a few steps ahead of you in your career or that person you admire for taking care of her or his body.
30) Find the Flow. We all do better when we are in the “flow.” Teach yourself how to access your flow faster whether it’s setting the mood, watching inspirational videos or envisioning your better self. I listen to inspirational music before starting a project.
31) Enjoy Simple Pleasures. Take notice of the beautiful events and things around you. Our minds can get overwhelmed with negative news and people that complain. Make it a mission to feed your thoughts with beautiful things and ideas.
I hope you enjoyed these 31 Small Easily Achieved Goals. Hopefully one of the ideas sparked a resolve to complete in this upcoming year. Let’s make 2017 the year that you decided to make your dreams a reality! I can’t wait to hear what goals you’ve decided to complete. Let me know in the comments below.
Please share this post on social media and get your friends involved. Who knows, maybe your friends will become “goal buddies” with you!
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter, where you will receive more garden ideas, home decor and recipes. New subscribers will receive my MOST requested recipe: Chicken with Blackberry Cream Sauce.
Thanks for stopping by!